Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X2N and low tuning (continuation to my import thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2N and low tuning (continuation to my import thread)

anyone use an X2N in a low tuning like drop C?
    if so how did it work out? im looking into getting this to replace my EMG Hz and i just want to make sure its going to actually do the job. or am i still better off with an 81/85 combo?

It has been my experience that a Dimarzio SD or and X2N can be very helpful in D, but I didn't try C. Sorry. I would think it would be pretty good. I also think the combo of drop tuning and very hot pickup is good for tonally challenged guitars.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
      It has been my experience that a Dimarzio SD or and X2N can be very helpful in D, but I didn't try C. Sorry. I would think it would be pretty good. I also think the combo of drop tuning and very hot pickup is good for tonally challenged guitars.

yeah, i have been doing alot of reading i just wanted to see if anyone has experience in the field of drop C with this specific pickup. its either that or the D sonic but i couldn't imagine they are much different from eachother.

its a dimarzio im sure either are better than a EMG Hz ha.

Comment

You may also have problems with the looser strings being affected by the X2N's insanely powerful magnets.

Comment

Michael Romeo (Symphony X) uses the X2N in standard D, so I don't think you'll have any problems with drop C.
          Scott

Comment

dont know about drop c, but it sounded great when i had one and played c standard.

Comment

I have one in my RR1 and RR5, I play in standard D too. Can't imagine you having any trouble. You may have to adjust the pup height to account for the strong magnets like Snoogans was talking about. You should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                You may also have problems with the looser strings being affected by the X2N's insanely powerful magnets.
                naw dude, i use zak wylde 11's the thickest string is a 50 i dont think a industrial sized magnet can move that string loose. Especially not with my bridge setup properly.

Comment

I put one in my old Jackson Warrior MG many years ago (with a Super 2 in the neck) and had it tuned to D and Drop C. It sounded fine.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^ A string isn't quite pulled loose. A looser string would have a wider oscillation orbit, and the magnet impedes the orbit of the string, pulling it its way.

I haven't used an X2N in lower tunings, but I don't see how it wouldn't work. Theoretically, it wouldn't turn to mud because of X2N's top end and all that. I'd say it's worth a try.
                    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I have my x2n'd dr3 in B and it sounds great, very middy and crunchy whilst being a mass of output. Has balls.

Comment

X2n's are great for drop tuning. I have a few in guitars tuned to D and D flat. and they are fine. Go for it. I might have one or two in my parts box if you are interested in one. lmk.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                          X2n's are great for drop tuning. I have a few in guitars tuned to D and D flat. and they are fine. Go for it. I might have one or two in my parts box if you are interested in one. lmk.
                          if you have them send me a PM with a little info on what shape they are in/what color ETC.

Comment

I literally just put in a x2n in my jackson and it took some tweaking (lowering the pickup height, was getting an incredibly sucky muddy tone at first) and turned the mid up a tad, this thing is a beast in C standard!
                            "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I've been using an X2N tuned to C standard on my main guitar for years! I love it! The extra bite and top end of the pup work well against muddiness.

Comment

Working...
                              X