Fret work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret work

So I got a bonus at work and I'm thinking of spending it on getting my guitars "renovated". I'm thinking a fret level, recrowning, full set up, and any other adjustments necessary.

I've done basic setups and wiring before, but have never touched frets. Is this something I can do myself? Or would it be cheaper to just send the guitars out? I'd be doing it on all four electrics that I own (Predator, Kelly, OLP, and Ibanez) as they're all showing signs of wear. I'm pretty handy, but don't have a large area to work in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

edit: Just some additional info...if I did it myself I'd probably start with the OLP, as it would need the least work (being the newest) and I don't care a whole lot if it gets messed up.
    Last edited by Spivonious; 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM.
    Scott

*bump*

No advice at all? Is there some master thread that I'm missing?
    Scott

Comment

Well, the initial investment is pretty substantial... in both money AND time. The tools are retardedly expensive, which is why I made alot of my own. Once you have all the tools youll need, do alot of reading. Alot of it. Make sure you know exactly what youre going to do, and how you are going to do it, before starting the job. There are alot of great resources on the 'net.

Stewmac.com and lmii.com are good resources for supplies, they are who I use when I cant get or make what I need locally. LMII is cheaper on some stuff, but they send you the fretwire coiled up, not in straight lenghts like stewmac. I wasnt too happy about that.

Fret work isnt that bad, it just takes time and patience. The more you do it, the better and faster you get, as with anything. Eventually youll find "your" technique and all will be golden. But, as with many things, fretwork is not for everyone... but you wont know until you try. Hell if you want to make the 2 hour trip, youre welcome to come down here one day and give it a shot using my stuff! My other halfs family is from Lancaster (Lititz to be exact) so Im fromiliar with that trip.
      Last edited by RobRR; 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I was thinking about it, and how do you make sure the radius stays the same? I would think it would be very easy to mess that up with too much sanding.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          I was thinking about it, and how do you make sure the radius stays the same? I would think it would be very easy to mess that up with too much sanding.
          Use a radiused sanding block.

You can also order pre-radiused fret wire as well.
          I suggest ordering it with a radius slightly more than you need to help the ends lay nicely.
          I also prefer to glue them in using a press with a radiused caul.
          This enables you to install the frets using even pressure along the entire legnth of the fret as opposed to using a hammer.

I've found that doing it this way will also require less leveling in the end.
          Last edited by Model1VH2; 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

So the basic process for a complete refret is

1. take out old frets
            2. install new frets
            3. cut ends and file so they don't stick over the edge
            4. color the tops of the frets with a marker and sand with a radius sander until all marker is gone.
            5. crown the frets using various files and sandpaper.
            6. give the frets a good polish using increasing grits of sandpaper and then steel wool to finish them off.

That sounds very straight-forward to me. There has to be something I'm missing.

What about compound radii?
            Scott

Comment

1. take out old frets
              2. install new frets
              3. cut ends and file so they don't stick over the edge
              4. color the tops of the frets with a marker and sand with a radius sander until all marker is gone.
              5. crown the frets using various files and sandpaper.
              6. give the frets a good polish using increasing grits of sandpaper and then steel wool to finish them off.

That sounds very straight-forward to me. There has to be something I'm missing.

What about compound radii?
              My process ...
              1) Remove the neck and adjust the truss rod so the neck is completely straight.
              2) Remove the old frets.
              3) Use radius gauges to find the proper fretboard radius, and again, use a straight edge to make sure the neck is completely straight then use the appropriate radius sanding block to help remove old glue, dirt, grime, etc.
              4) If you used the radiused sanding blocks, you should also probably use a fret saw to cut the slots deeper for the new frets.
              5) Use a fret bender, or order pre-radiused frets that have a deeper radius to help them lay nicely and to help prevent the ends from lifting once they are installed.
              6) Use CA glue and install the frets using a press and a radiused caul.
              7) Snip all the ends of the frets.
              8) File the ends flush, then use a fret bevel file to file the ends at a 35 degree angle.
              9) Use fret files to dress the frets
              10) Level and Crown
              11) Use 0000 steel wool to polish

That's about it.
              Just work slow and use the proper tools and you should be fine.

Comment

Be careful here - the radius on the tops of the frets is different than that of the actual fretboard.

What will happen if you use a radiused sanding block is the frets will be high in the middle, and low on the edges, as the "imaginary circle" that the radius is based on is now larger...you want to use this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting..._Levelers.html instead...

Hope that helps!
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

here's a great tutorial. knock yourself out.

http://www.frettech.com/frets/index.html

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

So what tools should I get? The most advanced tool I own right now is a circular saw.

I saw a fret tool kit on StewMac, http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp..._Tool_Kit.html

Would this have everything I'd need, tools-wise? I don't know if I'd do a complete refret first, probably just try out the leveling and crowning.

And I still don't understand how to work with a compound radius. I wish there was someone local that could coach me as I go. Rob, I'm willing to drive if you'll show me the ropes.
                    Scott

Comment

I took a fret level and refret class, and as said above it's all about the tools. I haven't made the leap to investing in all that stuff. If you must, I'd start with the fret leveling/crowning/polishing tools. That's probably only half the tools compared to being able to do refrets as well. Also, someone with a full shop including a drill press will use different tools than someone without.

Comment

ditto Stewmac.
                        I got Jackson once with 24 fret overhang on both sides. Two files from Stemac, tons of double paper tape and slow motion. If you take too much off you can't put it back. I took a month one fret at a time and I am really proud of my first and only f-job.
                        That was on a new Jackson. If you can, practice on some throw away neck to get the feel. The ends were like micro-sculpting.
                        Stewmac has a video too.
                        JvicE

Comment

Working...
                        X