Help a newbie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a newbie??

Okay so venturing into my first wiring job. I can handle soldering if I have a basis to start, but what I need to know is pot selection and set up advice for my project axe.

Here is my idea.

2 cool rails and a screamin Demon....Looking for good sustain, sharp highs, and a decent growl (dream theater, meets Yngwie, meets pantera) Does this set up sound like it would get me there?

Body is a former charvel 375 refinned.

What pots would everyone suggest?

And is it possible to get a wiring diagram to start as a basis. I appreciate your patience with my newbieness. I have redone a handful before but this is still new to me when it comes to pickup selection and fresh wiring.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Well, for diagrams, you can go to seymourduncan.com, they have pretty good stuff. You'll probably want a 5 way switch since you've got a hum/single/single setup. Everything is pretty straight forward, I'd grab a few extra pots just in case you burn one up(I have never done this and I consider myself a hot solderer). Only thing I think you should consider is a stacked single in the neck to give you a humbucker sound up there, thats important for say, dream theater lead tone.

Comment

Yep, SD and also www.guitarelectronics.com for more diagrams.

I'd go with 500K on the pots.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'd go with a higher wattage soldering iron. I'd say at least 25W, preferably closer to 40W. I used to solder with a 15W iron and it was the hardest thing ever. Also, get something to be a third hand, be it a stand with a clamp on it, or your buddy.
        Scott

Comment

+1 on the third hand. I use combination pliers (if that's what they're called) with a rubber band on the grip. Very DIY but for most pickup work, they're invaluable.
          Also, use a few crocodile clips as heat shunts, very helpful too.
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Thanks for the help, which Stacked single would you suggest for the neck?
            Haters gonna hate

Comment

I've had good experience with the JB Jr., and they also put out a Lil' Screamin Demon that I haven't heard yet. There are a few others too.

Comment

So does my pickup combo sound somewhat like itll get me the sound I want?
                Haters gonna hate

Comment

The Demon will give you plenty of bite, but I don't know about growl...maybe look at the Distortion instead.
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X