Crackling Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackling Star

Hey all, kinda new here and i have a small, really annoying problem!

I got myself a NOS Star (all duncan pickups (HSS) w/ floyd) about a year ago now and i've started to get a crackling sound coming through when i play.

When i'm playing, be it on one of the singles or the hum, clean or distorted i still get it. As soon as i stop playing it's gone.

I'm a bit of a n00b with the electrics but i've checked for cracked/loose solder joins, loose wires etc, can fin'd any. I'm thinking it might be the 5 way selector 'cos i don't get any crackling for a short time after i change the position.

I know for certain it's not my amp or leads. I'm a plug and play, no effects guy so there's nothing in the way that could interfere. The neck is perfect too which again points towards the electrics.

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated.

-Brian
    Stringed things:
    Charvel Model 4
    Charvel NOS Star
    Gibson SG Special

get a can of contact cleaner and clean out the pots. clean out the switch by moving it back and forth quickly (but not forcefully).

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

And that's Electrical Contact cleaner, not eye-contact cleaner

Find it at Radio Shack or other electronics supply store.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cheers guys!

I'll go get a can just now!

Lets just hope i don't put the electrical contact cleaner on my contact lenses, that might just sting a little.

This may be the first of a few, easily answered, n00bish questions i'll probs ask. You can be my teachers

-Brian
        Stringed things:
        Charvel Model 4
        Charvel NOS Star
        Gibson SG Special

Comment

We're happy to help, as long as it's about Jackson and/or Charvel stuff. If it's Fender, Gibson, Ibenhad, ESPee, or anything else, we don't help
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Always nice to know

It's Charvel all the way for me. Don't find too many of them in Scotland however
            Stringed things:
            Charvel Model 4
            Charvel NOS Star
            Gibson SG Special

Comment

Working...
            X