Set-Up Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set-Up Issue

Just bought a San Dimas USA Production So-Cal and couldn't be happier. Having a problem though with the strings fretting out at the nut. The strings are extremely close to the frets. How can I change the string height? Can a newb like myself do it or should I take it and have it set up by a guitar tech? Thanks for any advice.

shim the nut. super simple. if you have a hobby lobby or something like that near you, go get some brass shim material; you can usually find it in the train section. sometimes they come in a thickness variety pack. if you can find one of those, sweet. if not, get the thinnest you can find. (like paper thin)

take the locking nut off, and slide a piece of the shim material on the treble side and on the bass side (assuming all of your strings are buzzing when they're open. if it's just the treble side, shim the treble side, etc.

reattach the nut, tune to pitch and see how you did.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use those subscription cards that fall out of magazines for shims. 2 pieces about the width of the nut should be fine. As Sully said, if it's just the treble strings, just shim that side.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
      X