Dremel for fret polishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel for fret polishing?

Do any of you guys use Dremel bits for polishing frets? If so, any recommendations on which bits to use? I want something that has the same consistency as 0000 steel wool.

Doing it by hand is alot of work, especially after a fret level and crown.

I just use 0000 super fine steel wool by hand.
    I would think using a Dremel would actually be more trouble than it's worth.
    And I doubt it would do as good a job.

JMO

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
      Do any of you guys use Dremel bits for polishing frets?
      I don't mean to channel Will Smith, but oh HELL no!

Frets get polished after a fret dress by working through the grits; 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 000 Steel wool, then 0000 grit Steel wool. I've also gone a bit off the edge by buffing them out with a buffer and some fine cut buffing compound. Looks like liquid chrome. I usually stop at the 0000 steel wool, tho.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, +1 on Sully. No dremel for that...

I use tape on the board to protect and just 0000 steel wool.

Comment

Originally posted by model1vh2 View Post
          i just use 0000 super fine steel wool by hand.
          +1 :d
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I use a Dremel with the Stew Mac abrasive polishing disks. I first run a needle nose file down the center of the disk while it's rotating. That way I get a nice concave profile to match the convexity of the fret. It leaves them with a mirror finish. Much finer that 0000 steel wool by the way. I use the extension on the Dremel so I can get the wheel straight on top of the fret. If your careful, you don't need the extension, but I find it makes short work out of polishing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ng_Wheels.html
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              I use a Dremel with the Stew Mac abrasive polishing disks. I first run a needle nose file down the center of the disk while it's rotating. That way I get a nice concave profile to match the convexity of the fret. It leaves them with a mirror finish. Much finer that 0000 steel wool by the way. I use the extension on the Dremel so I can get the wheel straight on top of the fret. If your careful, you don't need the extension, but I find it makes short work out of polishing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ng_Wheels.html
              Yeah, this is what I was talking about! After leveling, I use 400 grit, then 1000 grit, then the 0000 steel wool. It takes forever... I was wondering if there was a fine sanding disk for the dremel to do this. I guess I should've checked out Stewmac before asking since that's where I got my fret and nut files.

Comment

scuba steve, my thought on it is that it's going to take as much time to do each fret with the polishing wheels as it would to go through the grits. i don't doubt that the polishing wheels work wonderfully, though.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would do all the "rough" work with sandpaper as before, I would use those fine buffing wheels to do the steel wool part. I'm sure it still takes some finesse though.

Comment

Yeah, they work great. Depending on how fine your crowning and leveling is you can start with either the coarser or finer compounds with the wheels. What I do is, use the wheels gently moving from fret to fret, not wanting the fret to be perfect on the first go. This keeps the fret from getting too hot. Usually I'll do all of them starting at fret 1, then work down the neck. I'll do this 3 times and the frets are like mirrors.
                    I just love those wheels!
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I can get them pretty shiney with the crowning file don't need much cleaning up with the 1000 grit.I use semi-chrome polish and do it by hand really just as quick as the dremel for me anyway.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Works great on jumbo frets.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Meh, I let 'em get crusty. It's part of my signature tone
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                            +1 :d

+2
                            www.JerryRobison.com
                            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I'd be afraid that using any "power tool" on frets would cause them the become uneven (low spots).

Not to say it can't be done.
                              It just wouldn't be my preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X