Source for wood dowels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for wood dowels

Ok why am I having such a hard time with this? I've seen my tech do this many times...gluing a dowel into an abandoned screw hole, and gluing it in with some sawdust filler. Looks easy enough. The trouble is, where the heck do you find those small round maple dowels? I'm talking like around 1/16" or so in diameter, maybe even smaller. I went to Woodcraft, and those guys were stroking their beards at the same time as being hopelessly puzzled by my request. eBay: none. Allparts: none. Stew Mac:none. WTF? I am NOT gluing toothpicks in there (that is fine for stripped screw holes but not for abandoned screw holes where they will be showing). Anyone? Bueller?

Do you have a Michael's craft store by you? I think Ive seen them there. Also, home depot or Lowes might have them too. Do you have a mom and pop hardware store by you? That seems right up their alley too.

Comment

Michaels, yeah, that's a good idea.

Comment

yup or lowes

edit- he he. i guess i'm slow. i just fully read carbuffs post.

Comment

None of those places have maple dowels. They just carry "hardwood" dowels... which is usually oak or some unknown species of wood from some far away country made by an 8 year old worker.

Ask me how I know. Ive been searching as well, but to no avail.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

For the purposes of repairing badly stripped strap button holes, dowel rod from Home Depot or Lowe's works just fine. A friend of mine who is a guitar tech uses this all the time and has repaired some of mine. None have ever had a problem again.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post

Ask me how I know. Ive been searching as well, but to no avail.
              Hehe, glad I'm not alone. I guess I can deal with the hardwood thing, as long as they are round and the right diameter. I'll even drill the holes a bit bigger if needed.

Comment

Uhh, WalMart? True they're probably pine, but you'll never find a bookmatched dowel anyway.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hobby Lobby, michaels, lowes, home depot, your local hobby store, google, ebay, msn search, windows live search need i continue lol there are so many places to look

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
                    Hobby Lobby, michaels, lowes, home depot, your local hobby store, google, ebay, msn search, windows live search need i continue lol there are so many places to look
                    Allllllllllllllllrighty then!!!!!

Ya know, one decent link would have been more helpful!

Comment

I searched on Google for you.
                      They don't have them in 1/16" though...
                      http://www.tapeease.com/hardwood_dowels.htm

Not sure if these are maple, but here you go...
                      http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mid/mid7903.htm
                      Gibson SG Standard
                      Jackson DK2M Dinky
                      Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                      Roland Micro Cube
                      Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Hehe, glad I'm not alone. I guess I can deal with the hardwood thing, as long as they are round and the right diameter. I'll even drill the holes a bit bigger if needed.
                        Always good to have a nice fresh gluing surface...I'd drill first then dowel.
                        www.JerryRobison.com
                        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Kickass, I just found these at Michaels:

http://www.createforless.com/Forster.../pid75556.aspx

That 5/64" diameter is the perfect size. If anyone in the CONUS has a hard time finding them, PM me your address and I'll snail mail you a few free of charge (I have a TON extra).

Comment

For bigger holes like a volume or tone pot I use an old Drum Stick whittled down with my dremel.

Michaels or A.C. Moore have alot of dowels in stock of all diferent lengths and diameters, so I'd try there first.
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Any suggestions for neck heel holes?

I need to fill in old neck screw holes and re-drill an old neck being attached to a different body.

Comment

Working...
                              X