Anyone running an 85 in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running an 85 in the bridge?

EMG's.....Just curious who has and what their thoughts were comparatively to the 81 in the bridge.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

I've run 85s in the bridge. I think they're a bit warmer. Not as harsh. Especially if the body woods are alder or maple.

Comment

They got a little bassy in an Explorer. But I still liked it better than the 81 bridge.

Comment

I've heard good things but haven't tried yet. In one axe (Fusion Deluxe body with a Fusion Pro neck) I have an EMG81 at 18 volts and it's not changing.

In my Kelly Star I have and EMG81b and EMG85n that would be an easy swap, but it sounds good too and I have the SPC control for a mid boost if the EMG81 gets too buzzy and thin.

Comment

I tried it for a while. I prefer the 81 a little more.

Comment

I prefer the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck, in all body woods.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

85 in the bridge is the only EMG I'll use. 81 is ok in the neck but I'd probably rather have an 89 there so I can split it to an SA.
              81 in the bridge seems to me to be a shredder's pickup, and not much for rhythm, unless it's that bee in a bottle crap.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You can't beat an 85 in the bridge position. I always thought the Alnico 5 magnets made them sound better. My '05 KV2 sounds great with an 85 in the bridge. Unless you buy the 81/85 set, it seems to me most shops only stock single 81s because they are the most popular. Single 85s seem harder to find.
                Last edited by triplehold; 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

The 85 is a great bridge pickup. I have it in a few guitars.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Another vote for, I tried the 81 and thought it was shit, so I'll only put an 85 in the bridge now.
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Always used 81's and my tone is definitely not "bee in a bottle" haha... May have to try an 85 tho. But, I think I'm happy with the 81s really.

Comment

I have three of my Jacksons w/ an '85 in the bridge. Two of those have the 18v mod, which is kick ass.
                        I have an '81 in my other 4 guitars all with an 18v mod as well.

I prefer the '81, but I like the '85 as well. It's good to have alot of flavors to choose from, and like Joe pointed out, it's all in the wood.

I want to try a '60 to see what that's like sometime.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have an 81/60 combo going right now with an 85 just sitting here. the 60 is too bassy for the 81 and that's why i got the 85. now it's just a matter for me to stop being lazy...

Comment

I also prefer the 85 in the bridge vs.the 81, I have the same impressions as Guerilla Pete with the alder body.

Comment

I prefer the 85 in the bridge 90% of the time. Swapping the pickups round is one of the first things I've done in both my DK1s. The 81 is too 'edgy' sounding for me, with no balls - I agree with Matt's "bee in a bottle" comment.
                              However, I have one guitar that the 85 just didn't work well in at the bridge, and I'd almost given up on it as I was discounting the 81, but in the end it sounded great (well, combined with one of Dave's old-school RR bridges!). I guess the aspects of the 81 I don't like just complimented that guitar well.
                              Last edited by neilli; 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM.
                              Popular is not the same as good
                              Rare is not the same as valuable
                              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                              X