Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys use for treble bleed circuits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys use for treble bleed circuits?

I'm just wondering what you folks use for their treble build circuits, if you use them at all.

I just got to thinking about this subject because I'm getting ready to switch all my guitars over to a 330 pF set-up. My Charvels have a Dimarzio circuit, which is a cap and resistor (don't know the values) but I really like the 330 pF in my Ibanezes better.

I don't have one yet, but I've got an IBZ mutt and am considering doing the JEM777 wiring scheme with some PAF pups I have. Vai had a 331pF treble bleed cap in those according to my documentation (no resistor).

Comment

Haven't used one for a while. In general, I won't use one if the pickup is bright (JB), but I would use one if the pickup is muddy (Invader). I'd start around 250pf. Silver Mica if possible.

Comment

The bridge pickups in my guitars (Tone Zones and a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge model) aren't very bright so I have to have treble bleeds in them. I adjust my volume constantly, to control the amount of gain.

Comment

Anyone have a good source for high quality caps with these small farad values? They seem hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Anyone have a good source for high quality caps with these small farad values? They seem hard to find.
            Mouser Electronics has good ones (5% tolerance) though unless you're ordering enough parts, money-wise, the cost of parts vs. shipping charges are hilarious. Regardless, I don't know of any other sources so that's where I'm getting my caps from.

Comment

Thanks, I'm pretty sure this is the part I need!

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...tYhWxjZwF68%3d

I guess the "radial termination" is what us radio shack soldering iron wielding guitar dudes need. They are mica, but I don't see "silver mica" (whatever that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Thanks, I'm pretty sure this is the part I need!

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...tYhWxjZwF68%3d

I guess the "radial termination" is what us radio shack soldering iron wielding guitar dudes need. They are mica, but I don't see "silver mica" (whatever that is).
                I just ordered some of these:

Ceramic Disc Capacitors 50V 330pF SL 5% Tolerance

That is exactly what's in my Ibanezes. What you linked to will likely work but you definitely don't need a cap that handles 500 volts. Then again, I don't know if you've got super-duper high output pickupa. Heck, I didn't even need to order a 50 volt version but that's the lowest voltage rating available for the capacitance.

BTW, if you want a few of the ones I ordered, let me know and we'll work it out. I can ship plain ol' USPS Priority Mail so shipping will be about $4.00. I ordered 20 but only need like 6.
                Last edited by Matt_B; 03-07-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Sweet I'll take three of those bad boys. PM me a price and your PayPal info.

Comment

Working...
                  X