Dead Note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Note?

So i received my charvel about a week ago, and it plays great.

However, i noticed today that the 16th fret on my b string doesn't seem to sustain very long. At first i thought it was just the tremolo (this is my first tremolo guitar), or pickups that were too close to the strings.

I'm not too sure what is causing it, or how to fix it if i did.

Here's an audio example of me playing the 16th, 15th, 16th, 17th on the b.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/565874218d42ad5a/

even the 15th fret's sustain seems a little short compared to the 17th.
    have any suggestions?

Check string height, neck releif, possibly even fret height.

Comment

Check the action; a 16th of an inch is good. Much less than that will usually get you into trouble. If that checks out, I'd start checking for high or low frets. Get a razor blade, and span a few frets with it. If it's rocking on a fret like a see saw, you've got a fret height issue.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a similar problem around the 14th fret on my g string, I'm thinking its the string seat on the floyd.

Comment

if it were just the string seat, it wouldn't be 1 isolated fret would it?
          If it turned out to be a fret height issue, what can i do? just find a luthier to file it or something?

also, i'm used to playing unplugged a lot with my les paul studio, and the charvel is noticeably quieter.
          I take it this is mainly because of hardtail vs floyd rose? or should the difference not be that much.

thanks.

Comment

I thought the same as you, but I had the "ultimate fret job" performed on the guitar by having it PLEK'd and I still have the issue.....
            A luthier is a good place to start, they should be able to recommend some action

Comment

Working...
            X