Neck problems on a project gutiar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck problems on a project gutiar

I'm putting together a left handed project guitar, using a right handed DK2M neck. Everything was fine on it until I noticed a sizeable gap in between the fretboard extension and the body. I put a string on just to test it, and it bottomed out when the trem was at my usual "zero" position, and I'd have raise the action a LOT to get it to work What can I do in this situation? I'll post pics later.
    As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

With a string on it

As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

you could shave the flat of the heel or have someone do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
        you could shave the flat of the heel or have someone do it for you.
        Right, I'll get on that.

Comment

Watch the length of the neck bolts when you do this - you don't want them going into the fretboard.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Is your floyd recessed or top mount? If it's recessed, you'll have to flat the heel, and if it's non-recessed then you will have to get accustomed to have it at TOM height.
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Why not try raising the action?:idea:

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Why not try raising the action?:idea:
                Wouldn't I lose trem travel if I did that?

Comment

Wouldn't I lose trem travel if I did that?
                  doubt it.

Comment

before you get all heel-sculpty, shim the top of the neck pocket and see if that straightens you out.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                      before you get all heel-sculpty, shim the top of the neck pocket and see if that straightens you out.

sully
                      Thats what came to my mind first. Or as they say, "+1"

Comment

"before you get all heel-sculpty"
                        That's damn funny, you might be in the running to be my new footer...oh wait...

What type of body/setup you running? Top mount or recessed? Is it a Floyd, or vintage trem? Sounds like the problem I had with the Star in my avatar, tried a vintage brass trem from Mike Charvel, and UH OH! - the neck pocket was routed for a floating Floyd!

No worries, as I really like it, but it just wasn't what I had originally planned.

And don't mess with that neck, FWIW...you should be able to work your way around this one way or another without shaving it down...
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

here's a bit more clarity. i found this image while researching neck angle calculations for neck thru guitars.

your situation is explained in the bottom picture. if you shim the top of the neck pocket, you'll ease the angle.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

your situation is explained in the bottom picture. if you shim the top of the neck pocket, you'll ease the angle.

sully
                            I did the same thing on a Kramer body/Jackson neck thing I had - the trem was non-recessed floating.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

here's a bit more clarity. i found this image while researching neck angle calculations for neck thru guitars.

sully
                              Hey man, thanks a ton! What should I shim the neck with?

Comment

Working...
                              X