Observation about springs creaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation about springs creaking

Well I was tweaking my Warlock today, and just for grins threw a fourth trem spring in there (yes I adjusted the bridge to be level again). Something really odd happened. While perfectly quiet before, the guitar became a "Creakomatic". I mean it creaked like you wouldn't believe, even when bending notes. Now I have some spare springs, and tried to swap out the offending one for quiet ones. It wasn't possible. No combination of any four springs was quiet. I went back to three, and it quieted down nicely. Weird!

try dipping them in something called PB Blast you can get it in a can at your local auto parts store. Clean them off with a cloth then put them back in see if that changes anything.

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
      try dipping them in something called PB Blast you can get it in a can at your local auto parts store. Clean them off with a cloth then put them back in see if that changes anything.
      This is what you are talking about? Which product?

http://www.pbblaster.com/products.html

Comment

Likely Corrosion Stop.

I took RD's advice and tried the penetrating oil-it is outstanding stuff!
        I have used all kinds of industrial strenth penetrants for breaking loose corroded fasteners, and PB is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          Likely Corrosion Stop.

I took RD's advice and tried the penetrating oil-it is outstanding stuff!
          I have used all kinds of industrial strenth penetrants for breaking loose corroded fasteners, and PB is the best.
          Interesting, I wasn't aware of this stuff.

Now, with all this talk of penetration and oil in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Horns makes an appearance!

Comment

Yes i ment the penetrating catalyst and it is pretty amazing stuff, just spray it in a foam cup and you will see what i mean lol. Tell us how it turns out weither it works or not.

Comment

This may also be because the springs are now "shorter" at rest position - i.e. there is less pre-stretch in the springs. Worse case is they're not stretched all all so when you pull up, the springs may be compressing in a way they don't want to.

Try to make sure that the springs are stretched, or open, when at the nuetral position.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
              X