Black vs. Gold Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black vs. Gold Hardware

I recently read a thread on a trans black WR1 being fitted with black hardware. Likewise, I've seen a few black guitars (e.g.: plain black SL2H) fitted with gold hardware. I was also wondering what I can do to maintain the lifespan of gold hardware.

At this stage, I haven't decided which hardware colour would look better, though I'm not particularly keen on the chrome on trans black.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I personally do not like chrome on some guitars, but i do like it on others. My rr3 has some chrome hardware left as I am slowly replacing it with black. It all comes down to your own personal opinion which no one can decide but you. I think you should just try to look for several of the guitar your looking at changing the hardware on or building, that will give you your exact choice.

Comment

I don't wanna go n' buy either colour and find it's unsuitable. The CS generator here is not real enough looking (no disrespect intended) to come up with an idea as to which looks best.

When the guitar shows in natural sunlight, the trans burst looks grey instead of a natural brown burst. I'm wondering if gold will look good with that. If not, then I'll have to go for black. I'm also curious as to what size pickup rings are required. The chrome rings are very low on this guitar, maybe they're just deeply dug in or they're very shallow? They don't stand as high as on my other WR1 or DK1.
      Last edited by wilkinsi; 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Metal pickup rings like that are usually very thin. They're also usually put on top of plastic rings.
        The thick/tall chrome/gold ones are usually coated/painted plastic.

Tending to shiny hardware is a chore. You can polish them to keep the shine, but those knurls on the side will require a toothbrush to do so.
        All I can suggest is wiping them off after each use.

Gold on trans black would probably not look as good as on gloss black. My trans black NASL has shiny chrome hardware and it matches nicely.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Black hardware has better tone dude
          www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
          the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

As it pertains to the saddles on your bridge, you can apply clear nail polish over the saddles to protect it against sweat and rub wear. Of course, you wear it down, but you can reapply. I wouldn't apply it where the string contacts the saddle, but I would apply everywhere except that.

Comment

Be careful with what you polish gold hardware. My friend tried some polisher designed for frets and wound up taking off the gold plating from his gold OFR and tuners. He was plenty pissed!, and later sold the guitar.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
              X