Fitting bridge post inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting bridge post inserts

I know this was mentioned awhile back, but a) I can't find the post b) it only covered half my question.

Two scenarios here: I have a project guitar where I'm installing a fixed bridge, and another project where the inserts were not installed properly.

I've read that the inserts need to be pressed into the body. For those of us that don't have a press, is there an alternative method (without ruining the finish or guitar!), or should I take it to a shop?

Is there a safe way to remove inserts without finish/body damage?

Thanks!
    WarPig____________________________________________
    "Live every day as if it were your last...
    ...one day it will be."

I use my drill press to do it. Works like a charm, and ensures they go in nice and straight.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

The closest thing I have to a drill press is my hand drill, and I press on it
      WarPig____________________________________________
      "Live every day as if it were your last...
      ...one day it will be."

Comment

You could use a rubber mallet to pound them in, gently.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I use a drill press too with a ratchet wrench socket the diameter of the insert. But, you can use a weighted plastic mallet and do it gently. When you get down close to the body you get use a long socket the diameter of the insert or a tiny bit smaller that the insert and tap it home.

For pulling you can use a bolt with the thread identical to the threads in the insert, some large fender washers (3 or 4 larger than the insert, and a couple enough to hold the bolt head) and a piece of neoprene or hard rubber underneath the washers to protect the finish. Turn the bolt with a wrench and it will come out, unless it a 1965 or older Gibson I had fun with those.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
          X