9's or 10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9's or 10's

I couldn't find the option for a poll on this so I'll just ask....
    what do you use?
    9's or 10's or....??
    and why do you prefer one over the other?

OK I'll start, I used 9's when I was first learning to play but with my super narrow Les Paul neck and my sloppy technique the e string kept slipping off the edge of the fretboard or breaking.
    I switched to 10's and haven't looked back, that's been a few decades ago, thinking about trying 9's again.

Comment

12-52 tuned 1/2 a step down.

Killer tone ala Malcolm Young and NEVER break a string.

Comment

It depends upon the guitar.

The 25.5" scale length guitars (Ibanezes and Charvels) get 10s.
        The 24.75" scale length guitar (LP) gets 11s.
        24" scale length guitar(Brian May sig model) gets 9s which may seem odd but that gauge works for that guitar.

Comment

assuming standard tuning:

25.5" scale gets 9's
          24.75" scale get 10's

Comment

Strats - 9's
            Gibsons - 10's

I played with super heavy strings SRV style and finally decided I didn't like struggling and fighting the strings. After a few years, went back to lighter strings.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I find that lighter strings are a luxury. DR powder coated strings 9-42 are great. Why bother using heavier string when you don't need to?

Comment

8's
                I don't buy the ideas of tone = thicker strings and I don't like to fight the bends.

Plus, I had a car accident years ago that put my fretting hand thru the dash. Playing is like rehab, but I'll never regain the strength and flexibility I had.
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

9s for everything - C# (Sabbath) to D to Eb to E. Trem and tuneomatic. No problems.

By the way, there's a huge thread in the Tech Q&A on this, as well as in the Non-J/C Related section, and I think in the Amp section as well. This section is for the discussion of USA Jacksons (models, specs, history, etc).
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                    8's
                    I don't buy the ideas of tone = thicker strings

Saw something a while back in GW where BB King switched to 8s and loves them.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

10-52's here. Love em. Gives me some "chunk" yet easy enough to bend

Comment

depends on my tunings currently im using 11's on all guitars but thinking bout putting 10's on my guitars in standard leaving 11's on the Eb ones and putting 12's on the D standard ones.

Comment

10s on everything.
                          Gibson SG Standard
                          Jackson DK2M Dinky
                          Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                          Roland Micro Cube
                          Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

GHS Boomers 10-46

Thinking of switching to some heavier strings for some Drop B stuff

Comment

9 - 42's for me playing 26 years though I used 10's very briefly. The tips of my fingers hardened too much. My girlfriend back then (now wife) was grossed out when i ran my hardened & calloused fingers on her back. :ROTF:

I've used GHS Boomers throughout the years but i recently switched to DR's. DR's last insanely long for me.
                              [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                              X