Floyd problems on my model 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd problems on my model 5

I changed out the floyd rose on my project model 5 but the springs get hung up in the body cavity if you use the whammy bar. This has me wondering if the block on the floyd rose is too small. The floyd rose I purchased off ebay and it's off another Jackson guitar but it's a schaller made in germany model but with a Jackson logo on it. How do I tell what size block I have and what is the correct one I should be using. Guess it's time to upgrade to a brass block if I have to change it.

I can take pictures if that helps.

Thanks

The Model 5 needs a 42mm block. The trem you bought most likely has a 32mm block. Most of the guitars that had the Schaller JT-590 had recessed trems, which is why the trem has a shorter block. Just take the trem off and measure it, or you may be able to just poke a small ruler down beside it in the cavity. Any 42mm block that says it fits an Original Floyd Rose or Schaller Floyd Rose will work. Guitarpartsdepot.com usually has them.

Comment

Or you can take both trems apart and swap the blocks. Should be interchangeable.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Could get a big block as well. I really can't tell is going from a 32mm regular to a 37mm big block made a difference or not with my SL2H, but you may notice more because you are dealing with 42mm. You might be able to squeaze an L block in there. I couldn't without routing, and I didn't want to go there.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Think I will order a 42mm brass big block for the guitar since it needs a new block anyway. How can I tell if the 'L' shaped block will fit or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
            Thanks for the info everyone. Think I will order a 42mm brass big block for the guitar since it needs a new block anyway. How can I tell if the 'L' shaped block will fit or not?
            Pop off the trem cavity cover. Look for any wood that would be in the way by where the bar mounts. The L goes over the trem bar area. If it's wide open you are fine. On my soloist, there is wood there. It's weird why they would have left it in there, but they did. I could have carved it out, but I didn't want to mess with it.

Comment

Thanks for the info Don. The model 5 trem cavity is wide open underneath where the tremolo arm mounts.

Comment

Got a 42mm brass big block from FloydUpgrades last night. I have to say that thing is huge compared to the factory 32mm one.

Comment

Working...
                X