Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to safely put on / remove floyd springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to safely put on / remove floyd springs?

pretty much what the title said
    over the years, i've used plier to remove and put em on...but something always go terribly wrong...(dropped the plier to the guitar...scratched the guitar w/ the plier...etc):think::think::think:
    so does anyone know how to do it..."safely"???
    Thanks
    Own:
    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
    w/e catches my eyes ATM
    More '90 Professionals

I always thought you loosen the strings until the Floyd bottoms out so that the block tilted forward enough so that it relieves tension on the springs. Then you just take off the spring, put the new one on and tune up. I've never changed them myself though that's how I did it when I removed one.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

thats pretty much the way i always do it, when changing the string, i loosen the old strings until the floyd rose touches the guitar, cut the string, remove the springs...but here's the problem, how do you remove the springs...(sPrings not sTrings)
      Own:
      '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
      w/e catches my eyes ATM
      More '90 Professionals

Comment

I picked one of these up a while back, and it makes the job a bit easier.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...Installer.html

Comment

AMEN to the stewmac spring hook. i have one and it makes life so much easier...

Comment

They way I do it, is I just gradually relieve the tension on the strings, the floyd pulls back, and then the spring comes off easily, then you put another one on/off, or whatever it may be that needs service. I never really saw a need for a set of pliers.

If you don't want to detune the strings before you attend to the springs,I suppose you can grab a spoon or a knife with a wooden handle, put electrical tape around it, dive/pull up on the floyd, add/remove springs, and tune up to equalize the tension if the number of the springs changed. Put the spoon/knife towards the neck if you make the number of springs less, so it doesnt dive, or towards the output jack if you add more springs so it doesnt tilt back. That way, while tuning up/changing strings/tweaking the floyd/etc, with the spoon in place you can concentrate on the strings and not what's happening in the trem cavity with the springs. I'm leaving the obvious trem service steps out, of course. Also, plan how far the trem will dive/pull when you remove a spring, so you can use an object of a good enought thickness, that will make it easier.

I suppose that's a pretty safe way.
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

The other thing I like to do is, under full string tension, grab all three with my vice-like fingers and rip them off with a single brutal "He-Man" pull.

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
                thats pretty much the way i always do it, when changing the string, i loosen the old strings until the floyd rose touches the guitar, cut the string, remove the springs...but here's the problem, how do you remove the springs...(sPrings not sTrings)
                I was talking about the springs. If you loosen the strings and/or pull the Floyd back, they pop out easily. Just like Dred said. You can pop them out by hand. Unhook them from the claw then from the block (It probably works the other way). When I did it I did it from the claw because it's easier to remove from the block if you have more leverage to get the hook part out and removing it from the claw first would allow that. Putting them on is the exact opposite, block then claw. Then you tune up and the new spring will hold in under tension. I'm sure other people have different ways of doing it but I'm just saying what worked for me. It didn't shoot up or anything.

Edit: I like Axewielder's technique the best.
                Last edited by Ben...; 02-21-2009, 06:11 PM.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                  Edit: I like Axewielder's technique the best.
                  Goes without saying. It works on strings, too. The heavier the gauge, the better (it makes my oiled pecs tighten up and glisten and the groupies "go moist")
                  Last edited by Axewielder; 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Take the strings off and you should be able to grab the springs with your fingers and be able to unhook the loop end. When adding springs, attach the spring to the block first and then use your hand to pull it to the claw. No pliers needed.
                    Scott

Comment

I use a tremlok.Its a plastic wedge that slides under the trem base plate.
                      Use the bar and dive the trem slide the trem tool under the base plate and let the bar back up and its locked.No need to remove the springs to change strings.
                      Last edited by straycat; 02-21-2009, 11:21 PM.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I picked one of these up a while back, and it makes the job a bit easier.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...Installer.html
                        I have something similar to it that I use. Instead of the loop at the other end, though, it has an s-shape hooked end, so that I can also PUSH the spring on, if need be, as opposed to pulling.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          The other thing I like to do is, under full string tension, grab all three with my vice-like fingers and rip them off with a single brutal "He-Man" pull.
                          My brother-in-law did that - although it was one spring at a time - when a guitar tech said he didn't have time to look at the trem that needed to be repaired. Needless to say, he got the guy's attention.
                          WarPig____________________________________________
                          "Live every day as if it were your last...
                          ...one day it will be."

Comment

Yeah, like Ben said. I do the "pull the trem sharp as it can go with the bar and remove the springs by hand one at a time" thing as well. Same for re-springing. Bend the trem back and hook the block, then ring the claw.

Got tired of looking for my pliers, and got doubly tired of hunting behind the TV for the spring as the pliers let go
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Small flat Snap-on screwdriver is what I use.

Connect the spring to the block and then insert the screwdriver slightly into the hole of the spring and use some leverage to get it over the claw.

Try it and you will be surprised at how easily it works.

V

Comment

Working...
                              X