Changing pole pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pole pieces?

Is it okay to change out pole pieces? I have a filthy set of humbuckers in one guitar, and a clean set in another. Same set,same brand. I want to take out the dirty rusted ones and put the clean ones in. Would that hurt anything or change the tone? Thanks...........
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Dunno. Try it and let us know

Seriously, I don't know if the coils are isolated from the poles or if pushing them out would cause the wraps to shift. If so, you could expect the new poles going in to cause major issues with the coil alignment, possibly sending it microphonic.

Then again, folks have changed out the screw poles for bigger ones, so you never know.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just want to swap the screw poles..........
      "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Its perfectly fine to change pole pieces. i have swapped poles in a few guitars . If they are the same pickup pole pieces then your tone wont change. Go for it

Comment

Thank you! Like I said, just the ones with the screw heads...........same set, same brand

Comment

Ah, thought you meant the flat ones.

But why not simply try cleaning the old ones? Chances are if the screws got nasty from moisture (sweat, filming a video in the rain, etc), the coils aren't in much better shape.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc, I'll try cleaning first. Believe it or not the coils are clean probably because there smooth and with no creases for crap to get into..........

Comment

Yeah, you can just unscrew them and replace them. I've done it, before, and the world didn't come crashing down. Not yet, at least.............
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                X