Gibson pick up Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson pick up Q

I just bought an 04 L.P.special and have no clue what pick ups came in these there is no sticker or pat# on the base plates any idea?
    The Gibson site wasn't any help either.You used to be able to scan info but no more.
    Neck reads 7.7k and bridge reads 13.4k
    Last edited by straycat; 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Probably 490R and 498T.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks. I know they are ceramic and way too brittle.

Comment

With those readings they're probably the pickups I said and not the hotter 496R/500T set that ARE ceramic mags. The 490R/498T were Alnico. Hmmm... just dawned on me - might be a 490T - that's what my SG Special had in it - 490R/490T.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

The neck is pretty mellow but the bridge just way to brittle fo my taste.
          Going to check into some 57's or a set of RS/ Fralin PAF's

Comment

I recently put a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs in my LP Classic and they sound amazing. Not too hot, not too weak, full but not muddy, bright but not brittle. They give me the Les Paul tone I've been searching for for years.

There's a video on You Tube that covers their genesis. Long story short, they were modeled after the stock pickups in Larry Dimarzio's '59 LP.

Comment

I do have a set of 70's super D's but was saving them for my PRS.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                I do have a set of 70's super D's but was saving them for my PRS.
                Ok, ya lost me. I thought you wanted to put some PAF type pups in your LP but know you're talking about the Super Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Probably 490R and 498T.
                  This is the correct answer.

Comment

Thanks. I know they are ceramic and way too brittle.
                    Not ceramic. Not too brittle.

You're too old

They are one of my favorite crunch pickups in my 1998 SG Std. Perfect for classic Black Sabbath.

Comment

Thanks Don but you're from Ohio I expect that.J/K dude.
                      By the way the bridge sounds its way harsh so I thought ceramic.
                      The super D comment had merit it is an option if I don't find any PAFish pickups.
                      Going to rsguitarworks tomorrow so I may buy some Fralins.
                      I would settle for some 57's tho'I like them pretty well.

Comment

Thanks Don but you're from Ohio I expect that.J/K dude.
                        By the way the bridge sounds its way harsh so I thought ceramic.
                        The super D comment had merit it is an option if I don't find any PAFish pickups.
                        Going to rsguitarworks tomorrow so I may buy some Fralins.
                        I would settle for some 57's tho'I like them pretty well.
                        Hey that's a low blow. I'm from California - is that worse? It must be because Ron is there

For the record, when I came to the tri-state area, I had my choice of IN, OH, or KY and I choice Alexandria, KY. For the first 10 years at least.

Then with the housing boom, I sold my CA condo and moved across the river. mainly for the schools (three kids).

But seriously back on topic, I really really do love that pickup combo in my SG. The 498T is perfect for the paranoid LP, and the muddy 490R nails Sweet Leaf. It all depends on your rig too. I mainly use a Marshall Micro Stack or a DSL100 1/2 Stack. I have a Laney AOR 50, but that's pretty much a Marshall as well.

And even with the 496R/500T loaded in my Classic Premium Plus I get a great AC/DC tone. I used to think high output pickups couldn't be sweet, but it's all in the amp. To get the AC/DC tone, I use the clean channel on the DSL100, dimed gain, but NO boost. The 500T has just enough power to overdrive the clean channel.

With the T-Tops in my 1977 Custom, I have to add the boost button to get the same effect.

So, what are you playing through that makes it sound brittle?

Also (VERY INPORTANT) - Does your special have a maple top? the 490R/498T was (seems to be) very unpopular in LP's, and I think it's because LP's are brighter than SGs. But in a solid mahogany axe, the 498T sounds quite good.
                        Last edited by DonP; 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The special is solid mahogony.I have run it thru my Ampeg VL1002 half stack and Carvin X110B 1/2 stack too which sounded pretty good.But thru my rack rig it sounded brittle.ADA power amp and intellifex.So my guess its just the amp settings Don you're probably right.
                          Just kidding on the buckeye thing.LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X