'87 Jackson Strat punchlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 Jackson Strat punchlist

Ok so I'm putting together a plan of attack for restoring that 87 Jackson Strat I won on the bay. Restoring is probably the wrong word, as it really doesn't need that much. However, the board (ebony) is covered in cheese, and the back of the neck is a bit dry. Here is my current plan of attack, submitted for your approval.

1) Remove neck from body, tuners from neck
    2) 0000 steel wool the back of neck in direction of grain
    3) 0000 steel wool the ebony board and frets in direction of grain
    4) vacuum
    5) Single coat of Tru Oil on back of neck only with lint-free rag, quickly wiped off with clean lint-free rag
    6) Wait 24 hours
    7) 0000 steel wool the back of neck in direction of grain
    8) vacuum
    9) Repeat 5 - 8
    10) Fender fretboard conditioner (basically lemon oil) for the ebony board
    11) Reassemble guitar and ROCK OUT!!

This is my first oiled neck project, so comments/criticisms are welcomed. I am of the opinion the back of the neck was originally done with Tru Oil based upon my observations and research. It has a slight smoky, aged look with just the slightest sheen to it, which is kind of cool. I'd like to lighten it maybe a shade, and help protect/stabilize the neck. I have read something about applying wax after the Tru Oil finish has been built up, but I am uncertain and skittish about that. It is very important that the neck is as satiny smooth as possible. When I think of wax, I think "sticky". Blegh!

EDIT: It looks a bit lighter/cleaner in this pic than it really is.

Last edited by Axewielder; 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM.

don't use lemon oil, get some bore doctor! It will clean off 'fretboard mojo' quite well.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Yeah, I know everyone has their favorite solvents, but unless I am really off in the weeds on something I want to stay with what's in my own "box 'o guitar products". Note that step #3 was aimed at that cheese issue.

Comment

I would just do the board and be done with it. Is the back of the neck sticky or rough?
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I strongly suggest masking tape over the pickups, as the magnets will attract the steel wool residue like nobody's business.

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
            I strongly suggest masking tape over the pickups, as the magnets will attract the steel wool residue like nobody's business.

- E.
            Oh yeah - good point. Or take the neck off entirely.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks, I already had removing the neck as step 1. Overkill really, but I wanted to photograph the neck pocket and heel.

Comment

So...does anyone have any insight into using the Tru Oil gunstock wax on top of the oil? Does Jackson do this?

Comment

first, get some Premium Zippo Lighter Fluid. (this is basically Naptha). use that after the steel wool on a clean cloth PRIOR to oiling the neck. this will deep clean all the stuff you can't see that's gotten down into the wood.

2nd. get some Fretdoctor for both the ebony board and the back of the neck. this stuff will naturally protect the wood. see... gunstock oil is basically a hard finish with more of a satin feel. which is fine if thats what you want. but if you want an true oiled wood feel. go for the Fretdoctor on the whole thing.

if you'd rather have the gunstock oil finish, it is ok to do the gunstock wax on top, but only after the oil has dried for at least 24hrs.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey Axe, the 87 strat that i've owned since new has the unfinished or natural maple neck, and as far as my foggy brain cells can remember it did not have any kind of oil or wax applied to the back of the neck when I purchased it. And it definitely has never had any applied in the 20+ years I have owned and played it, other than the oils off of my hand. The back of the headstock still feels of unfinished wood, but the back of the neck is basically hand polished from the years of use. Here's a couple of pics!

Ultimitely its up to you and what kind of feel you want.

Comment

I too have been curious about this wax over the oil, as i have recently purchased some tru oil to oil up a neck on a rhoads ex that is really rough and dis coloured im fine with the oiling process but had just read about people applying wax after the oiling process to protect the neck better, not sure i would do it but im keen to find out how the neck will feel after oiling

Comment

Thanks Red, that neck looks great. I'd be surprised if it was truly unfinished, i.e. raw maple with absolutely nothing put on whatsoever from the factory. People throw the term "unfinished" around a lot, when what they really mean is that is wasn't "painted" or "clear coated". Of course I'm not sure about all that, thus this thread!

Comment

Just tru-oil don't wax it.
                          Here is my 87 and its had the shit played out of it.Lots darker than the outside pic.
                          [/IMG]
                          Last edited by straycat; 02-20-2009, 12:02 AM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X