You guys like scalloped necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys like scalloped necks??

I've never played on a scalloped neck, are they cool? what do they feel like? I play a lot of rythm, is it going to be a pain in the ass? Is this a butcher job?

"Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Looks butcher from the scallop jobs I've seen!

Comment

Not good for rhythm. You have to press really lightly or you will be sharp. So IMO it is somewhat limiting for a rhythm player.

And that looks like a bad job there in the pic.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

That's not so bad. At least you have some consistent depth I guess. Can't tell too much from that top down pic.

I love a scallop neck. I always say this in response to posts about them, but there are no cons to them.

Things people say like "intonation issues are a hassle! Chords are a hassle! You need to relearn guitar!" are from people who haven't really treid them, IMO. They are just fine to play on, and to have intonation issues, you'd have to have a Hulk like grip, which would anyhow rule any benefits you'd get from scallops out.

Bending is way eaier, and it feels super nice to be "woodfree" on them. No friction of finger on wood to slow you down or get in the way.

So I say, go for it. Chords are no problem at all. They may feel a bit weird, having no wood underneath your tips, but that'll be fine after 1-2 hrs playing time. You can adapt fast.

Of course, YMMV.

If you are thinking of bidding on that neck (or something?), with a bit of work it could be better, but really it has what you need, the lack of wood. Sure, it's done pretty badly, but it would work.

What we'd really need to really judge is a full side on shot of the frets and the scallops.
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

That's one of the ugllier jobs I have seen but you should be able to clean it up. If you have a good ear, you should learn quickly how to play it. If you don't have a good ear, it can be difficult...on the listeners.
          www.JerryRobison.com
          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Good lord, I thought that was a picture of a dinosaur's backbone!
            "POOP"

Comment

I love my scalloped tater!
              "POOP"

Comment

That looks butcher to me, and scalloped frets are usless IMO.

Comment

Check out the Blackmore style scallops - they're progressive up the neck - shallower lower on the neck and on the bass strings. Very cool. I like more than Yngwie style.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

This guy whos selling it is about 5 minutes from where I live. I offered him $60 and he said he'll do it.

Do you guys think i'd be able to clean it up so its way smoother, or is this the best its gonna look? lol
                    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I'm sorry, but that scallop job looks uneven and inconsistent. You can find better.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Its a crap job but if the price is cheap and the frets weren't hacked up it would be a nice test to see if you will dig scallops or not. I went through the scallop phase. At one point I had 2 Malmsteend and 4 other scalloped necked guitars. Then.. I went through the 7 string phase.. then etc.....

Comment

I used to scallop all my guitars, just along the G-B-E strings so it didn't mess with heavy riffing, just using my fingers and sand paper.
                          They all had standard size non jumbo frets back then, so it just added a little bit of slinky to the higher strings. Your vibrato will change, the feel of it, you'll have to tame it a bit, and you have to fret notes like a fairy as to not go out of tune.
                          If your going to rip into a neck like that, anyway, it's not about looks, cause scallops don't look aesthetically good anyway,...at least to to me.
                          With jumbo frets it doesn't feel necessary.
                          Anymore i like the feel of the wood under my fingers,
                          and diggin into it.

Comment

My only experience with scalloped frets is my 89 Rhoads with factory scalloped 12-22 frets. Its my main live Rhoads guitar but I do not notice any difference at all in how it plays compared to my non-scalloped guitars. So I can take 'em or leave 'em, no preference here.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'd keep the $60 and put it towards a well-made neck. Or, some boobs-to-the-face at the local strip joint. Just throwin' that out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X