Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Stands Full Time?

I think this is a dumb question, but...

Is there any reason I can't store a set-neck guitar (ie. Les Paul on a stand 24/7 outside of it getting dusty?)

I don't know why, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this being OK (But I hope you all say it is, lol!)

Why would it not be ok? Whether it hangs by the head or sits on the butt is of no consequence. The neck won't pull out of the socket from gravity.

However, one thing that is very important is what the padding on the stand is made of. Certain types of rubber/rubber-like/foam stand padding can actually cause problems with nitro finishes that Gibson uses on the Les Paul.

Look around online for more info and which is which.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I usually have 4 or 5 guitars out on stands at any given time. A couple of my favorites basically always stay out. Keep it out of direct sunlight, and you should be fine, but one word of caution: with a nitro finish like an LP has, you may want to make sure that your stand doesn't react with the finish. I've heard of that happening with some stands that have the foam rubber at the headstock, like Hercules stands.

-edit- sorry for the repeat of what Newc said. Had to tend to a toddler mid-post.

Comment

how many guitars do you have? GC has some nice multi guitar case stands at an affordable price if you dont like those i would go with hercules stands i have both types and i love them.

Comment

Watch out for those floor registers, if you even have them. I had guitars out on stands, and it was impossible in my house to position them where they weren't getting blasted directly by the central air. In the winter you are talking really dry air coming out of those, and my necks just went OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW from the non-stop hot/dry/wet/cold cycle. I started to move my guits back into cases when I got wise to what was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Keep it out of direct sunlight, .
            Or keep it IN direct sunlight if you want to fade the finish and yellow up the nitro clear coat. Check in on the wackos (I am one too) at the LPF for ideas on where to store your LP for desired finish results.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by ripley156 View Post
              Is there any reason I can't store a set-neck guitar (ie. Les Paul on a stand 24/7 outside of it getting dusty?)
              You might need more truss rod adjustments. I've kept my Strat on a stand in my bedroom for the past few years, and the neck seems to need a truss rod tweak a few times a year more than my other guitars that get put back in their cases after use.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Use stands like the A-frame styles that don't even touch the neck, just the body.
                My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
                X