Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run EMG's without a volume pot?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run EMG's without a volume pot?!?

just curious. Mine is cutting out, so I need to order a new one. It make take a few weeks though, is it possible to run it without a pot?!?

You can. Newc's white CS Angel has no pots at all.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yeah just wire it directly to the output jack. Ground to barrel and hot to tip.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
        You can. Newc's white CS Angel has no pots at all.
        Yeah, but mine's not an EMG

Actually, aside from the internal preamps, EMGs are just like any other pickup - they simply require the 25K pots for ideal volume/tone control for the preamp, not the pickup itself.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just dropped EMG's into my SG - I wired up two volumes and no tones just to get started, but I was thinking about just wiring in an "on/off" switch and getting rid of all the pots (the control cavity of the SG is pretty tight - I'm not sure if I can fit four pots and two 9V batteries in there...

Anywho... not really a contribution to the original thread...

Oh how about -

Let me know how it sounds w/o the volume pot - does it seem brighter? Typically, that's what happens with a passive pickup.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Yes you can
            Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Yeah just wire it directly to the output jack. Ground to barrel and hot to tip.
            And thats it in a nutshell

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            but I was thinking about just wiring in an "on/off" switch and getting rid of all the pots
            That is exactly what i did to the red warrior pro i got from Newc.
            I wired it right to the mini toggle switch, works awesome

"It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Slightly off topic...

MOSH...With the PUP slanted with the low string side towards the bridge:

I always thought this made more sense, getting more attack out of the lower string (Being closer to the bridge) while having a smoother, almost neck pup sound out of the higher strings...

Is that pretty much what you get?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Hehe even EVH could figure out how to wire that up!

Hehe....J/K

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
                  Slightly off topic...

MOSH...With the PUP slanted with the low string side towards the bridge:

I always thought this made more sense, getting more attack out of the lower string (Being closer to the bridge) while having a smoother, almost neck pup sound out of the higher strings...

Is that pretty much what you get?
                  Sort of, but i wouldn't say neck pup sound, but, it is a little different,, being that this is an EMG 81, its pretty hot anyway,, but being slanted the lows are pretty crisp and tight and the highs are still bright but not as harsh as , say my Dinky rev. with its 81,,,like i said not so much neck pup'ish but a little more round'ish if that makes any sense

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

killswitch that sucker!
                    jackson pc-1 chameleon
                    charvel model 4
                    prs ce-24 emerald green
                    ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                    jackson rr ps 3t
                    ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                    engl thunder 50
                    ibanez rg 565
                    mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment