Q about compatible 5 way switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about compatible 5 way switches

I just replaced the bridge pickup back to stock in my Model 3, and now the output cuts out intermittently in the bridge position. A jiggle of the switch brings it back to life. After cutting down the wire and resoldering I still have the same problem, i'm pretty confident that it's the switch.

Does anybody know if a fender 5 way switch bolts right in? Or do I need a charvel style switch?

Thanks.

You might try leaving the switch in the middle position when not in use. Those are notorious for doing that when left in the neck or bridge position. It might come back for you without having to be replaced.

Comment

All the ones I have seen are the essentially the same, although the good ones (US made/"CRL" brand) run a little deeper than the cheap imported ones.

Also, note that US-made switches have a thicker blade, and need a different plastic tip if you go that route...
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Thank for the info and advice. I'm impatient, and it didn't fix itself overnight, so i'll just drag myself up to Guitar Center and pick up a Fender switch.

Comment

it could just be a bad solder joint on one of the jumpers.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You can also spray a bit of contact cleaner on there and work the switch back and forth. Radio Shack carries that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by David S. View Post
              Thank for the info and advice. I'm impatient, and it didn't fix itself overnight, so i'll just drag myself up to Guitar Center and pick up a Fender switch.
              I'm pretty sure the Fender packaged switch will be a CRL. So, your quality is there.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                You might try leaving the switch in the middle position when not in use. Those are notorious for doing that when left in the neck or bridge position. It might come back for you without having to be replaced.

Were it a Gibson-style toggle, yeah, but it's a blade-style, so no

I'd definitely try contact cleaner first, and reheat each wire connection just to make sure they're set.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X