ABR vs Nashville T.O.M.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABR vs Nashville T.O.M.

I need a bridge for my LP Deluxe. It has inserts for the bridge posts, so I assume it must take a Nashville type bridge, correct?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Why? I'm using a cruddy Nashville on my '77 Custom and it get's the job done.

But, IMO, ABR-1 is better.

I have an ABR-1 on my 2002 Std, originally it came with a Nashville. I bought a Gotoh from Stew-Mac which is a drop in replacement (it has the proper spacing).

If you get a Gibson ABR-1, you will need to ream the holes slightly larger and widen the spacing slightly.

I STRONGLY recommend you go to the LPF. They have gone through countless amounts of aftermarket hardware. Pigtail is really good stuff, but the guy is not the best when it comes to customer service, like letting you know your stuff won't be in for a month.

There is always someone making new and improved stuff, so I suggest you go there for the latest and greatest.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Need 2 bridges and a tailpiece for two old pauls ('79 & '82)...suggest tonepros replacements. I have one on a custom and have to admit I am very impressed with it and the aluminum tailpiece.
      www.JerryRobison.com
      '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

get a tone pros replacement. the fact that you can lock it makes tuning and intonation way more consistant.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Why? I'm using a cruddy Nashville on my '77 Custom and it get's the job done.

But, IMO, ABR-1 is better.

I have an ABR-1 on my 2002 Std, originally it came with a Nashville. I bought a Gotoh from Stew-Mac which is a drop in replacement (it has the proper spacing).

If you get a Gibson ABR-1, you will need to ream the holes slightly larger and widen the spacing slightly.

I STRONGLY recommend you go to the LPF. They have gone through countless amounts of aftermarket hardware. Pigtail is really good stuff, but the guy is not the best when it comes to customer service, like letting you know your stuff won't be in for a month.

There is always someone making new and improved stuff, so I suggest you go there for the latest and greatest.
          WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Hold on a second. I was simply asking which bridge works with the inserts that are already in my guitar. I bought a 1980 Deluxe, with no hardware, other than tuners, and bridge/tailpiece inserts. I don't intend on doing any messing around with it, so I just want to know if the inserts mean it is set up for a Nashville style.

Comment

Yep- Nashville. Spring for an aluminum tailpiece if you can. An '80 huh, is it heavy? I had an '80 LP Standard that was wicked heavy, played it for many years and finally wore the finish off the neck and it was maple. Yours might have a maple neck, they are sought after by a lot of Les Paul fans.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
              Yep- Nashville. Spring for an aluminum tailpiece if you can. An '80 huh, is it heavy? I had an '80 LP Standard that was wicked heavy, played it for many years and finally wore the finish off the neck and it was maple. Yours might have a maple neck, they are sought after by a lot of Les Paul fans.
              I'll have it in a couple of days, so I'm not sure yet on the weight. I have an aluminum tailpiece already. Glad I do because Gibson wants $160 for one.

Comment

1976 - 1982 came with three piece maple necks. Yes, it is very desireable because it's not your normal Les Paul tone.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Hold on a second. I was simply asking which bridge works with the inserts that are already in my guitar. I bought a 1980 Deluxe, with no hardware, other than tuners, and bridge/tailpiece inserts. I don't intend on doing any messing around with it, so I just want to know if the inserts mean it is set up for a Nashville style.
                  Just because it originally came with a Nashville doesn't mean you have to stick to it. I have a gold Gotoh that will go on my Custom once the Nashville gives up the ghost.

Comment

the main thing you need to worry about is if it has wide posts or skinny posts. a tone pros will drop right into your stock inserts.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yup, all maple necks on mine...they just seem to have more attack, and not so dark and smokey sounding as the all Mahogany (fine for Blues though)

Gibson must be high to charge $160 for a tailpiece (non-locking too I'll bet), unless it's gold. $85 to $100 on the bay for a tonepros Aluminum. Ordering a bridge and tail for my XR-1 silverburst Thursday. It sounds so good and massive now, I can't imagine it sounding better!

Also...string over your tailpiece...That's where you put the strings in backwards, over the tail then the bridge. Makes for a better string break angle, you can slam your tailpiece to the top (not touching though, potential finish damage) , and it's just more string contact. You'll find that bending is much smoother
                      Last edited by Partial @ Marshall; 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM.
                      www.JerryRobison.com
                      '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Example...

http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/stoptailwrap.html
                        www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                          Also...string over your tailpiece...That's where you put the strings in backwards, over the tail then the bridge. Makes for a better string break angle, you can slam your tailpiece to the top (not touching though, potential finish damage) , and it's just more string contact. You'll find that bending is much smoother
                          Smoother bending on a Les Paul? If you can't bend strings too well on a short-scale Les Paul, then you need to use lighter strings or hit the gym. Some LPs you can actually have the tailpiece on the body, but it depends on the neck angle of that particular guitar.
                          And even if you screw the tailpiece down as far as it will go, it still won't hit the body, so there's no worry about finish damage anyway.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Smoother bending on a Les Paul? If you can't bend strings too well on a short-scale Les Paul, then you need to use lighter strings or hit the gym. Some LPs you can actually have the tailpiece on the body, but it depends on the neck angle of that particular guitar.
                            And even if you screw the tailpiece down as far as it will go, it still won't hit the body, so there's no worry about finish damage anyway.
                            SMOOTHER...not necessarily easier.
                            Also not all inserts are put in at the same depth...If I would have put the tailpiece all the way down on my Burst it WOULD have touched the top, then the strings could have pulled the tailpiece (non locking original) forward and down which COULD have damaged the top....just a precaution, didn't want to chinger it up. On my Customs I can't get the tailpiece down low enough because the studs bottom out. They're Norlin era pauls...Not really known for consistency.
                            Also tried the string over on 25.5" scale, works great on that too!
                            Last edited by Partial @ Marshall; 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM.
                            www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                              Also...string over your tailpiece...That's where you put the strings in backwards, over the tail then the bridge.
                              The term is called topwrapping. I don't like doing this because it will scratch up the tailpiece, and... I think it just looks weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X