Grounding a Push Pull pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding a Push Pull pot?

This is probably a real "beginner" question.

I've been soldering for a while (PCB's) so that's not a problem, but it's my first time doing any electrical work on guitars, so here goes.

I bought a push pull volume pot so that I can coil split a JB.

The wiring diagram on Seymour Duncan's site looks like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol_split

The push pull pot I bought looks like this:

Because the switch part is directly underneath the "pot" portion, there is very little space to solder the leftmost terminal onto to ground it. Can I use a short piece of wire to ground the leftmost terminal? And also, can I do the ground connections onto the side of the "pot" instead of the bottom, which is inaccessible due to the switch being mounted thereon?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-QR
    Last edited by QuantumRider; 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Yes.

You can use a wire.

You can bend tabs to make it closer to the casing.

Is this going in an SL2H or other USA guitar? I ask because I want to do the same, but I want a full sized pot to match the full sized hole in my SL2H. I found them a while back for my LP (CTS, SPST switch, not a DPDT), but now I can't find them any more.

Comment

Thanks Don

And it's OK to solder the wire to the side of the pot casing instead of the bottom?

Actually, this is for my 1 hum MIJ Charvel, so the sizes of the hole and the pot are both metric.

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
        And it's OK to solder the wire to the side of the pot casing instead of the bottom?
        Absolutely fine!

Nice axe!

Comment

Thanks SloMo

Will get to soldering then

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, the coil split mod is done

Comment

Nice guitar, what is that a Model 1? Were Maple available for those? I love the Red against that Maple fretboard. Floyd w/ 1vol/1humbucker too, the best combo ever!

Is that the original paint as well?
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

MC - I don't know if maple boards were an option, but the Strathead wasn't

Nice axe

I've also seen those switches wired so the ground was on the bottom of the switch, though I don't recommend it - that's some thin metal down there and you can easily melt the plastic innards.

Always best to wire it to the side of the pot casing.

Don - you might need a wider washer for the push/pull. IIRC these are a bit narrow compared to standard/CTS pots. Also, don't get the long-shaft LP-style pots - you won't be able to get the cavity cover on, or the knob will stick up too high.
                Last edited by Newc; 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah you're right! Ixnay on the Strat head -A
                  I just woke up when I posted that.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Don - you might need a wider washer for the push/pull. IIRC these are a bit narrow compared to standard/CTS pots. Also, don't get the long-shaft LP-style pots - you won't be able to get the cavity cover on, or the knob will stick up too high.
                    I have a couple of the metric? pots just like the one pictured, but I'm holding out for a CTS full sized USA. The issue is the hole is larger than the pot, so even if you tighten it down, it could get bumped and slop around in the hole. I've found a supplier of a 1meg push pull, but I would like to find a 250K. If not, I'll wire a 500K resistor across it and drop it down.

Comment

I like to install brass grounding plates in my control cavities (Dave makes those custom for me). That way all the pots and switches are grounded automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                        Nice guitar, what is that a Model 1? Were Maple available for those? I love the Red against that Maple fretboard. Floyd w/ 1vol/1humbucker too, the best combo ever!

Is that the original paint as well?
                        It's a Charvel Model C, which was Japanese market only and in stores for only about three months in 2008 before the Japanese J/C factory stopped making Charvels. I found this on Yahoo! Auction and snagged it

Yes, the paint job is original.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I like to install brass grounding plates in my control cavities (Dave makes those custom for me). That way all the pots and switches are grounded automatically.
                        The cavity was coated with conductive paint, and there was a screw in the cavity wall which was connected to the original pot via a wire. For future reference, can I assume that the entire cavity functions as a ground with this sort of configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                          The cavity was coated with conductive paint, and there was a screw in the cavity wall which was connected to the original pot via a wire. For future reference, can I assume that the entire cavity functions as a ground with this sort of configuration?
                          Shielding paint is fine for shielding, but I wouldn't use it as a ground between components. There is actually quite a bit of DC resistance to that stuff. I like to use shielding paint in control cavities in addition to a brass grounding plate.

Comment

Axewielder-

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I uploaded a video that demonstrates the much brighter and clearer single coil sound here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlq3jihGZrE

Comment

Working...
                              X