Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretwire size for early Soloist

Hello,

I just acquired an early Student Soloist (J0191) and it needs a refret. I'd like to use as 'vintage correct' fretwire as possible. In the 1984 catalog (http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....424&fullsize=1) frets are simply referred to as 'jumbo' - any thoughts as to which gauge to use? Or should I just go by personal preference?

I understand this is to some degree a vintage guitar and a refret might hurt its value. However being accustomed to big frets it's a bit of a struggle playing this baby with the frets as worn as they are.

I'm not so sure a Student Soloist will be hurt by refretting with frets that aren't the original size.

Go for jumbos or whatever you prefer. But if you get an unpopular fret size (vintage, Gibson fretless, etc), that might hurt resale to potantial customers.

In other words, if you fret it with something nice and playable, you won't have any issues with the guitar holding it's value.

Comment

I agree completely with Don. The only thing I'd add is that you may want to let your luthier know about the location of the serial number and ask him to try to preserve it when working on the fretboard. Sometimes the serial number on the neckthroughs can be damaged or even lost when they do a refret, and that could become a big resale value issue, especially on one with such a low number.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your input guys! I'm not that worried about the resale value as much as I want a player but I figure it can't hurt to pay some attention to the instrument's history. What with the low serial and all.

Anyways, I'll place an order on some Dunlop 6110 wire. Thanks for the heads up on the serial dg, probably wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Comment

Yes, it's likely the serial number will be sanded away while prepping the neck for the new frets. This happened to my friends BC Rich when it was refretted. So either take photos beforehand of the number, or ask specifically if that area of the fretboard cannot be touched.
          The plus of refretting a student is that's there's no binding to worry about over the fret ends.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
          X