Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone swapped the "behind the nut" for a proper Floyd locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone swapped the "behind the nut" for a proper Floyd locking nut?

Over the years I have seen a few guitars that have had the behind the nut (think most Charvel Model series) swapped out for a standard Floyd nut.

I have seen it shimmed with hardwood, plastic etc.

How well did it look and does it hold up too?

I had a Charvette neck (aka Charvel by Charvel, it's the rare one) Anyway it had a regular nut, so I had to route a shelf for the Floyd nut to sit on.
    Unfortunately I only have a pic of it after I painted it, but it might give you an idea on how to do it?
    I also used wood filler to smooth the transition from the shelf to the headstock...
    I also cut a slot in the center of the wooden shim/nut shelf that I glued on because the truss rod sits further back in the cavity than it does on a neck routed for a Floyd nut.
    Compare both necks and you'll see what I mean.
    I basically did that to ensure that my truss wrench would fit back inside.

This is what I started with:

After routing, wood filler, and paint: note the little slot that I cut into the shelf...

Mock up photo:

Comparison with another neck w/ factory Floyd route:

Hope this helps you? Any questions on how I did it, let me know and I'll be glad to help you.

-Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Nice looking work Looks like it's meant to be there, and the added touch with the wood filler flowing into the shelf is a nice touch
      Don

Comment

Wow! That looks simply pro to say the least!!!!

I don't think that I will go to that extreme as I just want my local luthier to say build me a small wood shelf of ebony or rosewood so that the new floyd nut can be screwed into place.

Comment

Thanks guys. That filler that transitions from the headstock to the nut shelf is very subtle at first glance.

If you want to save some money pm me and I can do the work for you for free.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
            Wow! That looks simply pro to say the least!!!!

I don't think that I will go to that extreme as I just want my local luthier to say build me a small wood shelf of ebony or rosewood so that the new floyd nut can be screwed into place.
            The problem with that is that the little shelf will have to be wedge shaped and will tend to want to push out of the gap, it really needs to be glued in place.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
              I had a Charvette neck (aka Charvel by Charvel, it's the rare one) Anyway it had a regular nut, so I had to route a shelf for the Floyd nut to sit on.
              Unfortunately I only have a pic of it after I painted it, but it might give you an idea on how to do it?
              I also used wood filler to smooth the transition from the shelf to the headstock...
              I also cut a slot in the center of the wooden shim/nut shelf that I glued on because the truss rod sits further back in the cavity than it does on a neck routed for a Floyd nut.
              Compare both necks and you'll see what I mean.
              I basically did that to ensure that my truss wrench would fit back inside.

This is what I started with:

After routing, wood filler, and paint: note the little slot that I cut into the shelf...

Mock up photo:

-Joe

Good stuff! That looks super clean! Your "Charvel by Charvel" headstock looks alot more convincing than others i've seen recently...

Comment

i had lee at gmw do my old pointy san dimas. he built a shelf, and blended it in, and re-cleared the front and it looks totally stock. lee's the man.

dave

Comment

Working...
                X