Changing tuners + bridge on an SLSMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing tuners + bridge on an SLSMG?

I am going to pull the trigger on a new SLSMG tomorrow. Lame as it sounds for a $1000 guitar, I'll have to replace the tuners and maybe the bridge. I did a search here and read that Sperzels have some kind of tab problem. They are the only locking tuners I am familiar with and I know they are lightweight (figure neck-dive might be an issue with this guitar). I am wondering if anyone has some real experience with other drop-in lightweight locking tuners on this guitar?

Also, curious about swapping in a tonepros bridge - anybody do it? Is it drop-in? Did you notice a worthwhile difference?

Thanks for helping out a soon to be Jackson owner...

Sperzels have a small pin instead of a screw that you really don't need. You can pull the pins with a pair of pliers and the tuners will stay where you put them, as long as you make sure the nuts are tight. I've used them like that for years and never had one shift on me.

As for the tonepros, some swear by them, others say they're just pot-metal Gotohs with locking screws.

BTW, there's an SLSMG on Ebay right now for $675, and another for $850. Might be a better way to go than buying new at full price.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the info - sounds like I am getting Sperzels and maybe do a wait n' see on the bridge.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      BTW, there's an SLSMG on Ebay right now for $675, and another for $850. Might be a better way to go than buying new at full price.
      Yeah, I've been watching ebay. The thing is, buying a guitar sight unseen with no real return policy is pretty scary.
      Also, MF has one day left on their pay nothing with no interest for a year deal - I have the cash, but I'd much rather spend tomorrow's money as I am betting the dollar will be worth less in a year.

That said, I am going to be kicking myself if this one ends up going for cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-NICE-JACKS...3%3A1|294%3A50

Comment

Bridge is fine, tuners are good, replace the saddles and nut first. They will hold up to alot of playing before getting dicky, about the same time as the frets need addressing.

Comment

Working...
        X