Soldering Epiphany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Epiphany

I was always told "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools". So I stuck with my crappy soldering iron (15W) and routinely made crappy solder joints.

Yesterday, I had to go to Radio Shack to get some wire to install the pickups I got from Grandturk (smooth transaction, btw). I saw a 40W "soldering station" for sale for $12.99, so I picked that up as well.

Holy crap! What a difference! My solder joints are now very professional looking and very strong.

If anyone on here understands the basics of soldering but just can't get it right, your iron may be at fault.

I think I'm going to redo the wiring in all of my guitars now.
    Scott

I got a whole set of irons and stuff in this sweet Lake Placid Blue toolbox when my grandpa passed away. I still have no clue how to use it though.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I'm a 40W Radio Shack iron guy myself. That's plenty hot...in fact you will wreck anything you graze by mistake.

Comment

That could explain my solders, although it could just as well be me. What is the recommended wattage for a soldering iron?

Comment

30w is plenty, though most are 40w these days. Mine is switchable between 15 and 30.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Does a 15w iron work better for a job and the 30-40w don't?
            '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
            '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
            custom made Les Paul
            VOX Tonelab LE
            Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
            ADA MP1
            BBE 422A
            Lexicon MPX-G2
            ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
            Support Your Local 81

Comment

Upon further inspection I have a 35W soldering iron, so it must be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                I was always told "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools". So I stuck with my crappy soldering iron (15W) and routinely made crappy solder joints.

Yesterday, I had to go to Radio Shack to get some wire to install the pickups I got from Grandturk (smooth transaction, btw). I saw a 40W "soldering station" for sale for $12.99, so I picked that up as well.

Holy crap! What a difference! My solder joints are now very professional looking and very strong.

If anyone on here understands the basics of soldering but just can't get it right, your iron may be at fault.

I think I'm going to redo the wiring in all of my guitars now.
                Very true, the better the iron, the better the outcome. I really like the Weller soldering station with the temperature control.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                  Upon further inspection I have a 35W soldering iron, so it must be me!

Just remember one thing, and your soldering will greatly improve:

Heat up what you want to solder and apply the solder to that. Don't try to "paint" the solder on with the iron.

Practice by connecting two wires together. Twist them together, heat the exposed wire, and apply the solder to the wire. The solder will flow right onto the wire and you'll end up with a very solid joint.

edit: oh and if anyone is interested, this is the one I got: link I could have sworn it was under $20, but maybe not. Anyway, money well spent.
                  Scott

Comment

you just need a nice clean tip to solder. 40w is good for pickups but sometimes isn't hot enough to get a good joint on the volume and tone pots.

if you read the reviews of the one you bought at radio shack, it says replacement tips dont exist or are very hard to come by, so I'd be wary of buying that.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                      you just need a nice clean tip to solder. 40w is good for pickups but sometimes isn't hot enough to get a good joint on the volume and tone pots.

+1
                      2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
                      2007 DK2m White Bengal
                      88 Jackson limited edition
                      Charvel Preditor
                      PS-3T Rhoads Performer
                      Jackson DX10D
                      3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
                      4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
                      Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
                      Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post

if you read the reviews of the one you bought at radio shack, it says replacement tips dont exist or are very hard to come by, so I'd be wary of buying that.
                        I've never heard of more than 40W for any electronics work. More than that and you're likely to cook the components.

As far as the tip goes, unless I drop it or bend it in some way, I don't foresee needing a replacement tip for a long time. I solder about 10 things a year. Still, I guess it's a valid concern if you're looking to do a lot of soldering, but then you'd probably be looking at a nice Weller and not the cheap Radio Shack model.
                        Scott

Comment

I scuff the back of my volume pot with sandpaper to help the solder adhere better, and it works very well.

Good to hear that you got things figured out man.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I swear by a little bit of plumbers flux. It makes for really great solder joints that flow well and adhere too.

A tiny bit applied with those small plumbers metal brushes and then wipped off when done.

Don't ask how I know about flux....LOL!

Comment

+1 on the Weller Soldering station with the variable wattage... And another +1 on the soldering Flux... Good stuff there, been using it for years
                              It's amazing what a good soldering iron and the correct wattage can do for your soldering... as well as tone, and noise... Cold solder joints really blow
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X