Value for a Volume Pot on a DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value for a Volume Pot on a DK2

One of my DK2's has a bad volume pot. I need to know what the Value of the pot is. Is it 250K or 500K? Jackson doesn't have an support email address on the web site like they used to, so I'm asking my question here.
    http://www.facebook.com/djloverboy

I would guess 500K.

EJ

Comment

It is most likely a 500k, but if you're going to replace it i would highly recommend putting in a 1 meg pot. You will get loads more gain and high end frequency response. You can order it at Stew Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by tonedeaf View Post
        It is most likely a 500k, but if you're going to replace it i would highly recommend putting in a 1 meg pot. You will get loads more gain and high end frequency response. You can order it at Stew Mac.
        Look who's giving advice on tone...tonedeaf! :ROTF: J/K

BTW, this is from the stewmac website...

You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1 Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

If your DK2 sound anything like my DK2T, then I would recommend either the stock 500K pot or even the 250K pot...though I've never tried that myself. My guitar sounds lot thin than the DK2M or the SL2HT. IMO a 1M pot could just make is sound even more trebly and nasly sounding.
        Sam

Comment

You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1 Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

If your DK2 sound anything like my DK2T, then I would recommend either the stock 500K pot or even the 250K pot...though I've never tried that myself. My guitar sounds lot thin than the DK2M or the SL2HT. IMO a 1M pot could just make is sound even more trebly and nasly sounding.
          [/QUOTE]
          A 1 meg doesn't make a decent humbucker sound thin at all, just the opposite. Why would you want to "attenuate" the true tone of your pickup?
          Also all of the free gain that is being thrown away with smaller value pots? I would suggest that you experiment Emperor Black with a 1 meg. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by tonedeaf View Post
            I would suggest that you experiment Emperor Black with a 1 meg. You will not be disappointed.
            I will. I really like the sound of the Stock SD's on the DK2M and SL2HT and dont really wanna change the pup on the DK2T. Thanks.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
              I will. I really like the sound of the Stock SD's on the DK2M and SL2HT and dont really wanna change the pup on the DK2T. Thanks.
              It's a nice little mod for $4. I use 1 meg on high output PU's (up to a JB's output) and then step up to a 2 meg for anything stronger(X2-N, Invader, Quad rails). The higher the output the higher the pot value. But it's still a matter of personal preference as I play mostly real heavy stuff but am still able to turn the volume down to clean up the sound.

Comment

Putting a 1 meg pot in a guitar will increase the gain?
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                  I think it will just make it sound brighter and a little more agressive, not really actually increasing the gain.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                    It will allow more of what your pickup is generating outputwise to get to the output jack. With the volume full up you still have a load to ground through the resistance strip. So instead of having 500k of resistance to ground you would have 1,000,000 ohms between the output and ground hence more gain is directed to the output jack than to ground. It will also allow more hi end through also.

Comment

Working...
                    X