Jackson Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Prices

Would like to hear your thoughts on why Jackson prices have plummeted in the past month. New(retail) and old(eBay) prices seem to have taken a real hit in the past 4-8 weeks. Is it the ecomony? Is it the holidays? Is it Fender?

I'm thinking about liquidating all my AMIC-era Jacksons and sticking with 1989 and earlier USA Jacksons only from when Grover was running the shop. I have no desire to own any of the new ones. However, with the prices in the dumper, I'd hate to put my stuff up on eBay now.

Re: Jackson Prices

I'll buy it all for $10US!

Comment

I don't think it'll last. What you have now could very well become known as " Pre Fender buy out " Jacksons and more collectible. But, who knows.Definetly a bad time to sell.

Comment

Hmm... maybe now would be a fantastic time to buy, buy, buy. What do you guys think?

Comment

I talked to a guy the other day at work, about getting a new guitar. He told me he was gonna order a Carvin, and I asked him if he'd thought about buying a Jackson. He said he hadn't really thought of it, because he didn't know if they were any good, still. Seems he thinks the quality diminished after all the hair bands went away. Could be Jacksons are losing their brand recognition, due to all the Nu-metal bands playing, Ibanez, PRS, ESP, and the likes. I still think they need to get some more time in front of the camera, like on some videos, and in the hands of some newer performers, to get back where they used to be. I'll always favor them, but then again I've been a fan since the mid 80's. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I would say if it's going to become an issue with decreased sales we'll know when the new line comes out. Also interesting to see now that Fender has a hand in that decision. After all it's a business.....and know it's theirs.

What is the deal anyway with the endorsements? Slipnot was playing Jacksons and then went to BC Rich. Jackson seems not to be shelling out the big $$$. Bands like that need to be signed on. I can't figure it. Is BC Rich doing that much better?
            [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

They sure as Hell need to do something with that Custom Shop wait list!
            Over a year? C'mon, I love those guitars but thats ridiculous. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Greg

i would wait till after thhe NAMM Show i bet the prices will go up then once every one knows Fender owns Jackson.

also email me what you have i might buy some
              and i will give you a far price more then what you would sell them on ebay right now

Sid

Comment

Hey Greg,

I think it is everything right now. Definately the economy is sagging. I am on ebay pretty much everynight, and nothing it seems is selling for what it should be right now. I think that will start swinging the other way once the economy finally rebounds.

Comment

I'm guessing that your average guitarist doesn't know that FMIC bought Jackson/Charvel, or doesn't care. Most probably didn't know that AMIC was the previous owner. There might be a few people who are trying to *create* a demand for "pre-Fender" Jacksons, but then you would see the opposite of what is happening now. Anyone with a brain knows that for the next several months, the new guitars shipping to dealers are still going to have been made under AMIC ownership, and honestly, there is not going to be some overnight change in the construction process, either Japanese or American. If quality has decreased as some speculate, that has nothing to do with the buyout.

I personally think it's an issue of supply far surpassing demand. The economy has been this way for quite some time, to the point that even the "buy low, sell high" collectors are backing off. The people who were hunting for bargains have had many months to shop around and take advantage of low prices. I know that 2002 was very unusual for me in that I bought four guitars, an amp and some rack stuff, plus a new PC for home recording...far more money than I've ever spent on music equipment. I don't need to buy more stuff, and honestly, I don't know if I'd want to even if I had the cash -- too much talk of people losing their jobs or taking pay cuts.

The computer business is in the toilet now too, with profit margins ridiculously thin and the market flooded. Once people have found their bargains, they aren't going to buy anything new until manufacturers give them something that they just gotta have. Maybe NAMM will give the guitar market a shot in the arm, but otherwise it's a waiting game.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think it is just the economy in general. No one is buying anything, cars, houses, whatever. It is a buyers market for anything. Here in washington state good jobs are scarce and there has been a lot laid off.

So, now we are also seeing a lot of people hanging on to their guitars since the market is so bad.

Comment

I think the Holidays have something to do with it too. Right around this time every year, I see this happen, not only with Jacksons, but with a host of others as well. The Fender thing could have something to do with it, but my guess is, it's just a holiday price slump. It will pick back up after NAMM.

~WX7

Comment

Both the economy and holidays. First of all with a million or so people losing their jobs, people with jobs taking it in the shorts on stock market losses, uncertainty of the future...no one is spending or spending very little. I think you are seeing some price decreases in the new market to spur sagging sales.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I tend to agree .. the markets in the dumper, people are still losing their jobs, threat of war, hold on to them for now .. don't lose your shirt over a matter of principle.It's not worth giving in to. Even the charvel market has been on the dry side recently.. Their expecting a turnaround sometime in the 3rd quarter of next year, hopefully that will help ..
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by nofloyds:
                            What is the deal anyway with the endorsements? Slipnot was playing Jacksons and then went to BC Rich. Jackson seems not to be shelling out the big $$$. Bands like that need to be signed on. I can't figure it. Is BC Rich doing that much better?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mick plays BC Rich. He played Ibanez before the endorsement. James plays PRS now. He used to play Jacksons. BC Rich is probably doing a tad better mostly because they've got quite a few popular endorsements out there right now.

Comment

Greg,

I tend to agree with the general opinion here, but to also add...

Some of the info I was told around the time of the signing with Fender, was that the Pre-FMIC stuff was going to go up, starting after NAMM. So I would definitely hold off for at least 30 days after the show, minimum 30 days. I know you recently lost your job and what not, but if you can hold off, do so...

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X