Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to strip a guitar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to strip a guitar ?

what is the best way to strip a guitar ?
    Is there some type of solvent to eat through the clearcoat or is sanding it the best way? I've gotten a project guitar for my first re-fin, I'll need to strip it down to the alder for staining - pics will follow(eventually)!!!

Any helpfull advice to save me time, effort or money would be appreciated!

PS - a big shout out to BeholdTheFallen !!!
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

It depends on what kind of finish the guitar has on it.
    If it's a Poly finish, there are plenty of solvents that will work (I use Zip Strip), but you will still need to remove the last bits with some sandpaper.

If it's a Nitro finish, a cabinet scraper and some sandpaper will do the trick nicely, but something like Strypeeze will remove it as well..
    -Rick

Comment

It's an rr3 - http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...uct=2913000503

Spec sheet does not state what kind of finish, only additional concern of not f'ing up the maple veneer. Is the veneer itself stained?

Comment

It's Poly.
        So you got one with a trans finish?
        Eck... be careful. You could delaminate the veneer if you let the stripper sit for too long. Just depends on how thick it is.
        The veneer is stained on most trans finishes.
        Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM.
        -Rick

Comment

Hell i got a rr3 with solid black finish what would i use to strip that thing lol. It also has some gouges and chips what would you suggest that I use? Im going to repaint it myself, I do automobiles so I figured I could do my own guitar as well. I am very picky when it comes to the finish so i know it wll be top quality.

Comment

If you're just going to repaint it another solid color, there is no need to strip it.
            Just scuff it up with some sandpaper and fill in any gouges.
            Then all you need to do is prime and paint.
            Done.
            -Rick

Comment

Im also wondering if the paint is polyurethane or laquer

Comment

It's poly.
                Jackson doesn't use lacquer that I'm aware of. It's too soft.
                -Rick

Comment

Usually I'd recommend a heat gun and a scraper, but being your first one, you WILL scorch the body (trust me!). And, using a stripper might cause a delamination on that maple top, as I doubt there's much thickness on it.

Any way you can post a pic? Is the current finish save-able with Krazy Glue drop-fills? That's a poly finish, and if the color is still good underneath, you might want to go that route...

Unless you might be ok with a solid color, I have a feeling you'll be in for a long process if you want to save that top...
                  Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                    Unless you might be ok with a solid color, I have a feeling you'll be in for a long process if you want to save that top...
                    I had wanted to stain it green, may end up spraying it though, so far the solvent has not been working very well for me. I'll post some 'early into the project', pics later tonight.

Comment

The stripper takes many applications. Poly is some tough shit to break.
                      You will not do it all in one or two applications.
                      It took me the better part of a week to strip a guitar.

Get a cabinet scrapper to help remove the paint. Don't dig into it to aggressively though. Just even and firm pressure.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        The stripper takes many applications. Poly is some tough shit to break.
                        You will not do it all in one or two applications.
                        It took me the better part of a week to strip a guitar.
                        cool, how long do you leave the solvent on for @ a time?
                        I tried 20 mins. then 30 mins., and now it's frustrated me for today - back at it tommorow.

here's the guitar ;

Here I've broken it down - I'm gonna upgrade the pup's I'm undecided about which pup's though!

Comment

try a stripper in a can called "Air Craft" stripper. I used that on some painted surfaces for wood and it did a decent job. Never used on a guitar tho.

Comment

First, turn the lights down low, ...then put on some Barry White, then light some candl.....erm, oh nvm.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                              cool, how long do you leave the solvent on for @ a time?
                              I tried 20 mins. then 30 mins., and now it's frustrated me for today - back at it tommorow.
                              Just follow the instructions for whatever brand you purchased.
                              The initial clear coat is the hardest part to get through.
                              Once it starts to peel, get a putty knife and begin scooping the stuff off.

Like I said, it took me a week to fully strip a guitar.
                              Be patient. Especially if you want to try and save that top.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X