problem with action on soloist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with action on soloist....

I have a jackson soloist from the late 90's. H/S/S, original floyd rose. I had it pleq'd (big machine that does a fancy fret job) and setup, and it played great. Had it done at Gary Brauer guitars in SF, a well known place, they generally do a great job. He did mention to me that he loosened the truss rod as far as it could to get it set up right, so basically it's completely loose. But it played fine...

Now, it's all messed up. I changed the strings (same gauge) and the action became high and "fighty" for lack of a better word. So I loosened the trem screws so the bridge would float evenly and that helped some, but now it's back to being too difficult to play.

Anyone know of issues like this and had a resolution ? Anything I can do to help? Money is tight so can't afford a setup right now.

Any help is appreciated! thanks

Adjust the truss rod you need tension on the neck!Plek jobs just look cheesy to me uneven frets look like shit.JMO.
    Check to see how much up bow is in the neck first and adj from that point.If the frets are true it should be fine.
    Last edited by straycat; 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
      I changed the strings (same gauge) and the action became high and "fighty" for lack of a better word.
      Same brand of strings? Even if it's the same gauge, the tension can be different from brand to brand. If it is the same brand, then I don't know what to tell you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        ...If it is the same brand, then I don't know what to tell you.
        be careful who you let work on your guitars.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

stupid question - tightening the truss rod straightens the neck out, and loosening it allows for bend? I would think so, but....:think:

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
            stupid question - tightening the truss rod straightens the neck out, and loosening it allows for bend? I would think so, but....:think:
            Yup mate!
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

My rr24 was like that when i used 9-42 strings in d-standard. I had to loosen the truss rod until you could turn it with your fingers to reduce the upwards bow.
              Marshall JCM800 2203
              G12K-100w Cabinet
              Jackson RR24

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Plek jobs just look cheesy to me uneven frets look like shit.JMO.
                Not sure I understand this, Plek is extremely accurate, how does it look cheesy? :think:
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                X