Strange neck "noise". any ideas here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange neck "noise". any ideas here?

I have a SL2H that is making a strange noise when you use the trem. the best way I can describe it is, it sounds like when you work the trem to loosen or tighten the strings, its actually allowing the neck to flex slightly and the wood is rubbing on the truss rod. if I put my ear up to the back of the neck, I can hear it loud and clear. its noticeable if your playing and you really work the trem. it makes the noise when you go up on the bar, then when you go down with the bar. but once you go down with it, it dont make the sound if you continue to go down with it, but once you go up with it, it "creaks" or "clunks" slightly. this is the only guitar I have ever had this happen with. anyone have any ideas whats causing this?

just for the record, the guitar has not been dropped, been subject to any damage, or extreme temps or humidty changes. it sounds and plays fine, just makes that goofy sound.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Could the nut be loose?

Comment

It sure dont feel loose. I adjusted it not long ago, just tightened it a hair to get the excess curve out. worked fine. but this noise crept up on me now. its strange. I backed off on the nut a bit, and its still there. its just weird. like its almost grabbing on the inside or binding a bit.

Comment

I don't mean the truss rod I mean the nut. There are 2 screws under the locks for the the strings. I'm thinking maybe they're loose and the nut is moving back and forth under wammy use.

Comment

Originally posted by ejpii View Post
          I don't mean the truss rod I mean the nut. There are 2 screws under the locks for the the strings. I'm thinking maybe they're loose and the nut is moving back and forth under wammy use.
          That's what I'm thinking. I've had that creaking noise happen on guitars with Floyds in the past, always traced it back to the nut.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

HMMM....... Interesting! I will check that! thanks guys. I am open to any other ideas too. but I will check that.

Comment

HEY! you guys were right!!!!!

I just went and checked it. I took those screws out of the nut, and put them back in tight. then tuned, and locked the strings again. the noise is GONE!

Thanks fellas!!!!!

Comment

Damn you all beat me to it! Glad you're up and running.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Your welcome, Glad I could help.

EJ

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Cool beans!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great tip. I've never had this issue, but when I do I'll know where to look.

Comment

Working...
                        X