vintage trem setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage trem setup

Can you guys help me with the setting up of a vintage trem? Many people just put them flat with the body but then I see guys like Gilmour and Stevie Ray that can pull up on there trems... so with not having much experience with a vintage trem I need a bit of help to get a good working trem.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Either way is acceptable. It's all up to you.

Comment

Yeah- Just fiddle around with adjusting and playing it different ways. After you've experimented enough, you'll decide on what suits your playing style the best. That is the beauty of having a tremolo.

Comment

I've always heard that a good starting point is to keep the two outer screws a little tighter and loosen the other four screws a little more. Though, it's all personal preference and what works best for you.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's how set mine...

With the strings and trem springs off start by setting the 6 mounting screws. Back them all out a little bit then tighten the two out side screw till the back of the trem starts to lift then back them out a hair till the back of the bridge come back down to the body. Next do the center 4 screw the same way but back them out an extra 1/4 of a turn or so.

Now reinstall the springs and put some strings on; tune it up with the back plate jammed under the back edge of the trem and tighten the trem claw screws till the backplate doesn't fall out. Now set your intonation, string height, trussrod and radius like normal and retune. After that's done pull out the back plate and adjust the trem claw screws till the string return to pitch.

I also add some lube to the string tree(s), nut slots, 6 mount screws, and bottom of the height adjustment screw and make sure the the screws between the top plate and bridge block are nice and tight.

Good luck setting it up
          Last edited by lz_69; 01-27-2009, 03:33 AM.

Comment

I made some progress on the weekend but when I push down on the bar the low E string doesn't move that much as the top E (I know that they will never be equal, but what I'm trying to say is that I wan't that the low E string have more movement with the trem). Any comments on this would help. I'll see if something improves with your advise. Thanks all.
            '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
            '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
            custom made Les Paul
            VOX Tonelab LE
            Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
            ADA MP1
            BBE 422A
            Lexicon MPX-G2
            ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
            Support Your Local 81

Comment