Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's a good neck single coil...

to match with a Super 2 in the bridge?

I have a Super 2 in the bridge of my Model 2 with an added HS-3 at the neck. I'm sure the HS-3 is a fine pickup but it's just too frickin' quiet next to the Super 2. The Super 2 is getting the job done but flick to the neck p/u and where has all the guitary goodness gone? Major volume mismatch.

Things would be truly great if the Super 2 had a single coil pardner to keep up with it. It doesn't have to be a TRUE single coil - stacked hummers are fine too.

Any suggestions?
    Hail yesterday

havent' tried it ( you can be the ginea pig) the dimarzio virtual solo looks like their hotest non mini humbucker pickup.
    If you want a mini humbucker I would go with the air norton or SDs hot rails. I have a SD ssl4 and it sound good.

Comment

thanks Rich. I was a little concerned something like a Hot Rails might be a little hot, but hadn't considered that they adjust neck pickups to suit. That Air Norton looks interesting too.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

The SD Cool Rails is a good match for a bridge humbucker. Still sounds great but not as over-the-top as the Hot Rails.
        GM,
        www.aftershok.com

Comment

I love the Dimarzio Chopper in the neck. I've got one in my Bengal Charvel and I'm having one in put in another Charvel I'm having rebuilt.

It's hot but not too hot (compared to a Tone Zone), has lots of treble which gives me that clear, bubbly Yngiwe tone and sounds pretty darn good clean. I generally go for brighter pickups in the neck because that's the kind of tone I shoot for.

I have another guitar in mind I may mod up and if I do, it will have a Chopper in the neck also.

BTW, I tried an Air Norton and hated it. It sounded too dark and muted. YMMV of course.

Comment

i always recomend the YJM for neck singles.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i love my choppers!
              jackson pc-1 chameleon
              charvel model 4
              prs ce-24 emerald green
              ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
              jackson rr ps 3t
              ibanez rg 770 lazer red
              engl thunder 50