String buzz and action - fix? Here's what I did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String buzz and action - fix? Here's what I did

So, I've been trying for days to get the action on my guitars lower, but with the lowering comes a bit of buzz on the low e and g strings. I'm told that string buzz is common and not a worry if it is not amplified, but it still bugs me as I play quite a bit without amplification to practice. (after the wife and child have gone to bed at night) So, while changing my strings this weekend, I got this idea and here's what I did...

:idea:

I cut a piece of paper into a small rectangular shape to fit under the nut (locking floyd) as a shim. I then restrung everything and all buzzing went away. I was able to lower the action to where I want it and there is very minimal buzzing on the low e only, hardly noticable. (unless your a friggen' perfectionist like me ) I liked the setup so much, I did the same to my other DK1 and got even better results. I am surprised that something like a little piece of paper made such a huge difference.

Now, I've never adjusted the truss rod in my neck and don't feel comfortable doing so, but the necks on both my DK1 are super straight...maybe even too straight. If there is any relief, it must be very minimal. On a side note, both guitars had a shim (looks like the shims were made from the backing of stickers....that thin smooth stuff) under the e low e string.

I'm aware I didn't just use rocket science or invent the longer lasting light bulb to make this happen, just wanted to share. I'm sure this is a well used technique, but just didn't find anything on the site stating so. I am truly happy with the results I received and thought others may benefit from my experience.
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

If the buzz was at the low end of the neck (which it sounds like it was, since the nut shim fixed it) you most likely just needed a little bit of relief. Probably just 1/8 to 1/4 turn counterclockwise on the truss rod. I don't think you did any harm at all doing it your way, especially if you're still happy with your action at the low end of the neck, but I'd personally go with the truss rod adjustment in that situation.

Comment

If the open strings buzz while strings fretted at the 1st fret do not, then yes the nut height is probably the issue. You can also shim only one side of the nut if necessary instead of the entire length.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to learn how to do all this stuff myself so I don't have to depend on others. SOmetimes I get scared I'm going to f-up what's already good, knowing it couldbe better.
        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
        X