Mid 70's Gibson Pickup help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 70's Gibson Pickup help....

Not sure this should be here or in Classified.

I have an old SG I'm gearing up to maybe sell and I'd stored the OEM chrome face Pickup, but somehow, the mounting bracket that was "glued" across the back has disappeared. The pickup is like new and needs that piece.

Apparently they pop off easily, so maybe someone just might happen to have one in their bag of tricks anywhere? Contemplating making one, seems simple in a way. But figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Sorry, I have no clue.

Can you post some pictures of the pickup and guitar to see where this piece went?

Is the pickup a humbucker or a P90? P90's had some sort of bracket I thought, but they were never chrome plated. They always had a cover called a "soapbox" because it looked like soapboxs back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
      Not sure this should be here or in Classified.

I have an old SG I'm gearing up to maybe sell and I'd stored the OEM chrome face Pickup, but somehow, the mounting bracket that was "glued" across the back has disappeared. The pickup is like new and needs that piece.

Apparently they pop off easily, so maybe someone just might happen to have one in their bag of tricks anywhere? Contemplating making one, seems simple in a way. But figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Do they look like the right side of the picture? My Ibanez INF 4 and 3 pups had them and you are right they were just glued on and the magnet will come off easily.
      Last edited by FlyingSkull; 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM.
      "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
      Zakk Wylde

Comment

No, not a P-90. Just a traditional humbucker you see on LP's and SG's. And where it goes is traditional. The pickup however is just different in the fact that instead of a full backplate with Gibson inscribed, apparently this has like a 1/2" metal "strap" which gis glued across the back and is bent out to make where the tabs to screw into are. That strap is MIA...

Comment

Apparently I'm told this Gibson SG is like 76-78, and is the the type with the sticker (that's fallen off as well) on the back of the headstock for a serial instead of imprinted into the wood.

Money saving technique I guess, haha..

Comment

I'd try asking at the Les Paul Forum. Somebody there has got to know.
            http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/index.php?s=
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, just make one. You could rig something up- you just need a thin strip of metal secured to the back of the pickup and bent in the correct shape. Solder it, glue it or whatever works to get it to adhere to the back of the pickup. Then you would need to drill a couple of holes for the height adjustment screws and get the screw threads to grab. Look around the house or go to the hardware store if you have to, it will be a cheap fix. Whatever you do will be hidden by the pickguard or pickup ring anyway. You wouldn't believe some of the parts I've had to fabricate to fix up a guitar to sell!

Comment

Yep, fabrication is what is planned I guess. Just gonna pull the other pickup and duplicate and epoxy like they did. Surprised they'd do that, just seems well, breakable...

Just hoped someone "might" just have one stuck somewhere in their magical box-o-stuff, haha...

Really kill's me to maybe have to sell this one, 30 years old etc. but, times are rough the last bit here.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it

Comment

What is the DC resistance?

If it's a PAF type of wind (7.5K - 8.5K), it might be a "Velvet Brick" - a PAF wind with a Ceramic Magnet.

Comment

For reference, I think this is the mounting bracket you are looking for.

I've never seen these before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Humbucker...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

That would certainly be it. Still needing to make one, I found an appropriate piece of metal for it at least. I'm sure it won't be too major of a problem. I have the other one to duplicate at least.

I don't really know much about pickups in the different years and I should probably keep this original as possible, so, best to make a bracket.

And yes.. Leave it to me to have something odd.

Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                      X