Modifying my homemade star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying my homemade star

You probably don't remember me. Sometime ago i showed you my homemade orange neckthrough star.

The guitar is playing great. I never adjusted the truss rod because i'm not confident at doing that. I could take the guitar to a shop to have a set up made but the case of the guitar is huge and i don't drive yet.

The action is low and has some minor fretbuzz but it's not a problem. I'm using 0.11's to play on E standard and its great.

The sound is also great even though i have only played it on a roland cube 60. The SD distortion is more powerfull than the SD custom 5 on my fender toronado gt. I think that i like the custom 5 on my toronado more but it wouldn't sound that good on my star because its made of ash and the fretboard is from ebony. I think that it would sound too thin. Thats why m toronado is made of mahogany and has a rosewood fretboard.

For those who think that single pickup guitars are limited, they are wrong. The switch is giving some great tones. Single coil and paralel or normal. A guy from a band tried my guitar and played with the pickup on paralel and the tone closed and thought that it was a neck pickup. Thats a great sound. Its hard to describe. With the tone closed it sounds dark but the brightness of a paralel switch compensates the darkness so it sounds strange.
    Playing on single coil is also nice.

The tone's spinning direction is wrong. The wiring is probably wrong. The tone only works when its fully closed. When open i can move and it doesnt affect the sound but when almost closed, it works.

The paint is not that good. It looks good on pictures but the back of the neck is shinny. Near the pickup and the bridge is also getting shinny. Some wood pores can be seen. I should have been more patient with that.

The bridge is great. I like it because its easy to palm mute each string. The tuners are also good.

This summer i'm going to strip the paint and put more wood filler and sand all the small imperfections. I'm going to give it a shinny finish. I'm also goint to wire it again. I might put a tone control that only opens 70º. I'm also thinking on putting a floyd rose from gotoh or schaller. The gotoh's are 110 € and the schaller's are 195 €. Also the stock nut is a gibson style one that is glued and i don't know how to remove it.

I want to know what do you think about this. Will the floyd rose ruin my guitar? How can i remove the nut? Do you recomend gotoh floyd roses?

Theres also another problem with the nut.

I don't think that theres enough surface to put a locking nut. How deep must the locking nut be?

I'm sorry if i wrote a big text but some of you here have lots of experience on this subject.

I remember you posting about this.

I think you should keep the bridge as is. If it sounds great why mess with something that's good as is? I've never had any experience with Gotoh Floyds but I've heard many good things about them. If you do put a Floyd on please be careful because that's a really nice guitar and I would hate to see it ruined. Unfortunately I can't answer your question in regards to the neck thickness and the floyd nut though I'm sure someone else will.

Good luck! Hopefully whatever you choose will turn out well.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

One thing is sure. I'm going to strip the paint and put more wood filler and give a perfect shiny look. I will also work on the electronics.

It seems that i'm on a classic floyd dillema.

Comment

I hate those shinny surfaces

Not by the hair of my shinny shin shin!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by superbadboy2 View Post
          One thing is sure. I'm going to strip the paint and put more wood filler and give a perfect shiny look. I will also work on the electronics.

It seems that i'm on a classic floyd dillema.
          did you clear coat it or did you just go with the color alone? i forget, sorry.

as far as the bridge stuff goes, leave it. build a new one that's floyded.
          after all you've done, truss rod tweaks should be the least of your worries.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            as far as the bridge stuff goes, leave it. build a new one that's floyded. after all you've done, truss rod tweaks should be the least of your worries.
            +1 to that - you have a good looker there, and I would leave it alone from a set-up perspective. Refinishing sounds like the order of the day, but I wouldn't push it any further than that - check out www.reranch.com for some decent instrux on how to do a refin. Granted, you might not be using nitro, but the prep and sanding works the same for ALL finishes.

Also sounds like time for a new project - maybe a bolt-on if you are looking for some less time-consuming than your last project!
            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Sweet looking guitar man, i dig it great color too, Just refinish it and leave it at that, make another one with a floyd and sell me that one

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                did you clear coat it or did you just go with the color alone? i forget, sorry.

as far as the bridge stuff goes, leave it. build a new one that's floyded.
                after all you've done, truss rod tweaks should be the least of your worries.

sully
                I used graffiti cans. Then i used only one can of matt clear coat also from a graffiti can brand.

Thanks for all your replies.

I also have another question. The problem with making another guitar is that i can't find new necks that have a flatter radius.
                If i make another guitar i will probably use one neck like this
                http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...&product=N100R
                but the radius is only 9 and it might not work properly with a floyd rose. And necks with sush a round radius might not be good to shred and bends.

I would really like to have a floyded guitar. When i finished making the star i saw a ltd from roope latvala and felt a bit disapointed.

Comment

Make your own neck..............
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Order a neck blank from Carvin.
                    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=41
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      I hate those shinny surfaces

Not by the hair of my shinny shin shin!

Comment

I think that i decided the tremolo question. I going the kahler way with a string lock behind the nut. Does anyone recomend the hybrid? The hybrid is alot cheaper than the others that are machined on a custom shop. Or should i really buy the expensive ones?

Comment

I remember you posting this guitar too, you made a great job with it, it looks sweet!

If I were you I'd be wary of doing all these changes to your guitar - you'd be best off taking it to a local tech and ask them to take a look at improving it for you.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

are you wanting the nut for it to be "double locking?? If so you can get a set of tuning keys called sperzel they are pretty nice and pretty affordable http://www.sperzel.com/

Comment

If you want it to suck, then put the Kahler on. If not, then leave it the way it is and build another guitar with a Floyd.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X