Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Wrench measurement for SL2H truss rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Wrench measurement for SL2H truss rod?

I'm about to get my Jackson SL2H set up for the winter (finally) and I noticed that the high E, B, and G strings buzz out when I play them open. My action and intonation are pretty spot on, so I'm sure it's the truss rod that's giving me the buzzing (after all... the action DOES dip closer to the 3rd fret).

So my question is: what is the measurement for the Truss Rod screw? My supplied wrenches don't seem to fit too well.

Also, which way do I turn the wrench to reduce strain on the neck (you need more relief when it gets colder, right?). Using this picture as reference, when I stick the allen wrench in, do I push it down or up?

Thanks!
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

The truss rod wrench should look like a little pipe that fits over the end of the rod.Turn it down (B) to loosen the pressure and give more relief thereby raising the strings from the board a little. Turn1/4 turn and check. If it needs more wait a few days before continuing!!!

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but my truss rod when going clockwise, making strings higher, the nut on the end of the truss rod is loose? It wont give any more relief.
      Help

or i might switch to a thicker gauge since i play in D std
      Last edited by nitro_D; 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM.
      Marshall JCM800 2203
      G12K-100w Cabinet
      Jackson RR24

Comment

Before adjusting the truss rod I'd suggest that you check out a you tube video or two that explains exactly how to check the bow in the neck. It's really quite simple to do and its also the only way to be sure you that actually need to make a truss adjustment. You dont want to adjust the truss rod without being sure, at the very least you could mask what the real problem is, and at the worst you could cause damage to the neck.

If you're only getting the buzzing on one side with open strings at the 3rd fret then it's most likely not the neck itself that's the problem. I'd have to have it in my hands to be sure, but some other things to check would be the height of the nut and the bridge. It could also be a high fret.

There are a ton of youtube vids out there that explain how to properly setup and adjust a guitar properly.

-Steve
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by nitro_D View Post
          Sorry to hijack, but my truss rod when going clockwise, making strings higher, the nut on the end of the truss rod is loose? It wont give any more relief.
          Help
          You're saying you tightened the truss rod and now the nut is loose?
          Guitars:
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
            Before adjusting the truss rod I'd suggest that you check out a you tube video or two that explains exactly how to check the bow in the neck. It's really quite simple to do and its also the only way to be sure you that actually need to make a truss adjustment. You dont want to adjust the truss rod without being sure, at the very least you could mask what the real problem is, and at the worst you could cause damage to the neck.

If you're only getting the buzzing on one side with open strings at the 3rd fret then it's most likely not the neck itself that's the problem. I'd have to have it in my hands to be sure, but some other things to check would be the height of the nut and the bridge. It could also be a high fret.

There are a ton of youtube vids out there that explain how to properly setup and adjust a guitar properly.

-Steve
            Well see... the buzzing started when it got colder outside. And I've used the same settings and gauges of strings.

Thanks for the help everyone, just what is the size of the allen wrench that I need? in inches or mm.

Comment

The truss rod nut size is 7mm.
              You'll want to loosen the nut to add some space between your strings and the frets. (turn toward the "B" side on your diagram)

It acts like a regular threaded nut or bolt: righty/tighty - lefty/loosey.
              Loosen it about 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.
              Re-tune and play it for a little bit to see if it stays. The neck might settle and therefore you might have to actually tighten it.
              Keep an eye on it and you'll get it man.

Tightening the truss rod Flattens the board.
              Loosening it puts a dip in the board.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                Well see... the buzzing started when it got colder outside. And I've used the same settings and gauges of strings.
                And based on this astute analysis alone you're going to go make adjustments without know to make them in the first place, or knowing how to check if that's what actually needs to be done.

It's your guitar so do whatever you want, which Im sure you will. If you break it because you refuse to take the time to learn to do it right then you deserve a broken guitar.

My comments might be harsh, but you just dont seem to get it.
                Guitars:
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                  And based on this astute analysis alone you're going to go make adjustments without know to make them in the first place, or knowing how to check if that's what actually needs to be done.

It's your guitar so do whatever you want, which Im sure you will. If you break it because you refuse to take the time to learn to do it right then you deserve a broken guitar.

My comments might be harsh, but you just dont seem to get it.
                  With all due respect, you can't "break" a guitar by simply turning the truss screw an eighth or quarter turn. And I wasn't about to make any adjustments without researching it first.
                  Thanks for your concern

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                    With all due respect, you can't "break" a guitar by simply turning the truss screw an eighth or quarter turn. And I wasn't about to make any adjustments without researching it first.
                    Thanks for your concern

"All due respect" my ass, You may as well have just said, "FU jackass", at least then you're being honest with yourself. If you're offended then act like it, as I have no probelm offending you.

If that sad little diagram combined with your extensive wealth of knowledge on the subject is the sum of your research, then I stand by my statement that you deserve a broken guitar.

-Steve
                    Guitars:
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I think I made my point clear in my last post.

Comment

OK, lets try this again.

if the neck has too much relief in it, you need to tighten the truss rod, meaning turn it clockwise (direction A on your pic) while looking down the neck toward the body.

if the neck its back bowing, meaning the strings are bottoming out, then you need to loosen the truss rod, meaning turning it counter clockwise. (direction B on your pic)

BUT, be careful. only turn that truss rod in small increments. a little goes along way on truss rod adjustments.

you need to take bridge height into consideration as well.

hope this helps.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                        X