Painting with real blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting with real blood

So I have had an idea for a guitar for a long time now. I'm not talking blood splatter, more along the lines of notes written in blood on a guitar.

I have a couple questions:

Would I need to take sand paper to existing clear coat before I did the writing, since this isn't paint I'm putting on there? I am not sure i'd need to scuff up the paint for the clear to be shot on to it.

Would standard clear coat be ok on top of real blood? I'm not sure if there's anything about the properties of blood that would make the clear not set.

it would be on a white guitar as real blood probably wouldn't stand out on a black guitar.

I know I'll have to let the blood congeal a bit before i write with it, even then this may not work well. but it's worth a shot.

if worst comes to worst, I'll have a very unique blood splatter
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Dude, that is macabre.

Since I work in blood on a daily basis, my advice is don't wait for it to coagulate. It will be hard to draw notes with clot. Fresh, it will be thick enough to draw with, unless you're anemic as hell.

Now that I think about it, I presume you are considering using your own blood...right?
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Use a tampon as your writing utensil. It soaks up a fair amount of fluid and you wont have to dip it as often.
      Actually you can also use period blood because of the thicker consistency as well.

ps Write my name in cursive on the back.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You are a pretty sick individual...

If the guitar is already white and has a clear coat, you will just need to scuff the clear coat. You can probably use 800-1000 grit sand paper or go to an automotive supply house and get some scotch brite pads for clear coat scuffing. As far as the blood reacting with the clear coat - I don't know. You would probably have to try it on a scrap piece of wood - unless there is someone who has experience with this. Hopefully, Mr. Learn will read this thread and give you some expert advice.

Comment

Ok.... Wow...
          But anyway, being a painter, I have had the pleasure of clearing over blood, my own, by accident. I had cut myself, and was in the middle of clearing a job, well I couldn't stop to go get a band aid, so I just grabbed a wipe down towel, and wrapped it around my finger... Well it leaked a few good drops onto the hood... So after finishing the first coat, I went and got a band aid, and decided to go ahead with the second coat, as I thought I may be able to sand out the blood drops and polish after the clear was dry... So I applied the second coat of clear over the blood, and had no problems... Crazy I know, but it does happen from time to time...
          Don

Comment

Trouble is...you tend to pass out while doing it !

Comment

Sounds interesting. You could blow a couple of real bullet holes in it too.

I bet Vince could make some nice blood drips just sitting on a guitar.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Ace had some experience with bleeding on a white guitar some time ago. He posted pics of the event. Trouble is, when blood dries, it goes brown, so it ended up looking like he smeared a turd over the guitar

Best bet is to get some red paint and maybe some gray or black to mix with it to make it "bloody" colored.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

newc FTW! yeah, it's gonna look like notes written in runny crap, since it's not going to stay red.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You think it's going to go that dark brown? I have other stuff that has blood on it and you can tell its try blood - admittedly it was from a nose bleed and on paper in my waste paper basket. But it had dried. That's kind of where I got the idea.

I get nicks and cuts all the time, I was actually (yes I know sick) going to keep the guitar body around for a while and everytime I got cut (NOT on purpose, let me make that perfectly clear) write something on the guitar. I thought it would make for an interesting goth project

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                      Dude, that is macabre.

Since I work in blood on a daily basis, my advice is don't wait for it to coagulate. It will be hard to draw notes with clot. Fresh, it will be thick enough to draw with, unless you're anemic as hell.

Now that I think about it, I presume you are considering using your own blood...right?
                      Yeah, I keep nicking myself working with my tables etc. I'm not talking about gushing blood on the thing. I am taking asprin so it tends to flow a little.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                        Actually you can also use period blood because of the thicker consistency as well.
                        FUCK!! You're disgusting!! I was eating when I read this post.

Keyword "was". My wife's like..."that's it? You're done?"
                        Sam

Comment

Ugh! I've just finished my dinner..
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Trouble is, when blood dries, it goes brown, so it ended up looking like he smeared a turd over the guitar
                            A "shit splatter" guitar, might be interesting!

Comment

Why do I sense you're gonna paint a turd dragon guitar? Just remember not to post pix until the morning when I'm NOT eating!
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X