Replacement pot for fender amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement pot for fender amp

Ive got a late 90's fender amp that has a bad pot for the clean channel volume. I can see the back is all cracked. Its stuck at one volume. I assume that the traces are on the back and are broken with the cracked back. The problem is that the pot is a square one that is soldered to the board and not attached to the metal face of the amp at all. It seems that it would be a real pain to get it off the board as I would have to remove the circuit board from the chassis. And Ive never seen a pot like this either, probably hard to come by. Im thinking of just breaking the old pot open to get at the 3 leads. Then soldering wires to them. Then getting a guitar pot and mounting it to the hole in the chassis. And then soldering the 3 wires to the pot. Sound like a plan? Any idea what the value of that pot would be? Audio or linear taper? Its a solid state fender princeton 65. Volume pot for the clean channel.
    Last edited by Carbuff; 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM.

The value will be marked on it somewhere. If it is not, just measure the 2 outside terminals when you have it de-soldered.
    You could wire it into another pot, but I would just order the original part from fender.

Comment

2 problems. 1st its broken internally so it wont measure anything and 2nd, it probably isnt going to get unsoldered from the board as it seems like a lot of work to remove the board from the chassis for this cheap amp. Does fender list schematics for amps anywhere?

Edit: I found the schematic. It seems that the part (r16) is a 50k 15a pot. Can this part be ordered from fender?
      Last edited by Carbuff; 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Check with Steve at www.angela.com. He always does me right.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

get it from here? http://www.schematicheaven.com/fender.htm if not there it is anyway. Love that place!

Chris

Comment

Ok, Ive found a source for these pots. they list fender part numbers which I cant find on the pot itself but the values are listed on them. These are listed as "snap-in" pots. Does that mean that they are not soldered to the board? It seems that they could be held on the board by the 2 outside legs that go through the board. That would be cool because then I could get away with not removing the board completely from the chassis to pop it out. Is anyone familiar with these type of pots? Ive found a second one that looks cracked on the back too. It works but Id like to replace it too if easy enough.

Comment

Working...
            X