Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing strings often

Hi,
    I don't know why but my guitar strings go all dirty and rough literally the day after ive played, I know that my palms are a bit sweatier than normal but other than that im clueless. Ive tried ghs, dr, daddarrio even cheap ebay strings and they are all about the same. I clean my strings after I play which helps a little but its still annoying and starting to cost a lot.

Could it be the environment of my room or what?
    Marshall JCM800 2203
    G12K-100w Cabinet
    Jackson RR24

1 Since your in Australia, humidity and sea (salt) air may be a factor unless your in a controlled environment ie air conditioned
    2 What type of work do you do? work with a lot of oil and solvents?
    3 Most importantly wash hands thoroughly before playing!

Comment

Don't live on the beach, i guess my room is humid though/

Nah dont work with solvents.

Ill try washing my hands before playing. I would keep the guitar in the case but the case hasnt arrived yet
      Marshall JCM800 2203
      G12K-100w Cabinet
      Jackson RR24

Comment

Try coated strings, elixirs may do the job

Comment

yeh but they are so expensive. I dont mind replacing strings, but id rather do it less than every few days
          Marshall JCM800 2203
          G12K-100w Cabinet
          Jackson RR24

Comment

washing your hands may help. some people just have more caustic body chemistry that unfortunately tends to have adverse effects on guitars. My friend has eaten partially through his jt390 and worn all the gold off within a year or two (his #1 axe)

Chris

Comment

I always wash my hands prior to playing, along with wiping them down with a soft cloth after every 'jam'

I hear that every 4-5 hours of playing you can change your guitar strings, especially if recording in studio.
              "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

hell i though 4-5 hours would barely break them in, unless you trying to get them at their brightest that would probably keep it consistent

Chris

Comment

Do your strings rust or is it just dirt? I know you said you clean your strings, but I sweat a lot when I play and I really have to apply a lot of pressure to get the grease off my strings. Also, the grease causes the strings to intonate poorly due to the extra mass.

Comment

It could also be fretboard stain, especially if it's ebony. Most places use ebony stain to get hose "blacker than black" fretboards. That stain comes off on your strings and fingers pretty easily. Happened with my Custom Shop Jackson WarAngel when I first got it.

If it's rosewood, I can't tell you what it is, unless they used a rosewood stain on that as well.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Try GHS Fast Fret.It cleans the strings real well,makes them nice and slick,makes them last longer,and it's pretty cheap.

Comment

Wash hands before playing and use the fast fret after playing. IT really keeps your strings in great condition. I have the caustic sweat problem and this routine keeps it to a minimum. I get a couple months between string changes on my RR1's. It used to be about 2 weeks before I started washing before touching the guitar and using the fast frett.

Mr Hiwatt
                        Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
                        RR1 Black
                        RR1 Blue ghost flames
                        Stealth EX
                        Hamer Studio
                        Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by nitro_D View Post
                          yeh but they are so expensive. I dont mind replacing strings, but id rather do it less than every few days
                          Ah, but they last much, much longer and I find they don't break due to fatigue at the bridge so often. I use nothing but Elixir coated/anti-rust strings now, and buy them in whole boxes at a time which normally comes a lot cheaper.

Comment

if your top 3 strings get 'grungy' in a day or two, try taking some wd-40 and spraying it into a corner of a tea towel (no lint), and then pinch the string between your fingers, using the rag with the oil on it as padding for your fingers, and slide the towel up and down the length of the string a few times, pinching the string aggressively between your thumb and pointer finger in the rag and oil.

you'll hear a high pitched 'squeal', almost like a violin, and your skin, grunge, sweat, and dust will come right up off of the rag. you'll appreciate the 'slickery' of the thin layer of oil on the string, and unless you've let it corrode too badly, they should come back to almost new. if it's really bad, try using some rubbing alcohol first to cut the muck, and then oil them up.

this works repeatedly, but you have to wash your hands before you play, and then try to wipe your strings down when you're done, and they'll last you considerably longer.
                            Last edited by drixll; 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM.
                            198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                            1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                            2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                            2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                            2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                            2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                            2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

i use some dunlop string cleaner it works wonders and means i dont change stings more than once every 2 months
                              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                              X