I Need Stripped Screw Head Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Stripped Screw Head Ideas

I need to remove four completely stripped phillips screws from a metal pickup ring to remove the pickup. My idea is to grind the screw heads off, remove the ring, then remove the remaining screws with vice-grips. Before I take this on though, I thought I would throw it out there in case any of you had better ideas. :idea:
    If so, send them my way! Thanks!!!

Or stick a screw driver under the pickup ring and rip everything out of the wood. Plug the holes and re-drill.
    I'm kidding!!

Blast it off with firecrackers after you tape some army guys to it.

Ok, I m done now. I think your method is probably best as opposed to my debauchery.

Maybe cut a slot into the screw and use a straight screwdiver to remove them?
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post

Maybe cut a slot into the screw and use a straight screwdiver to remove them?
      Yep, that's what I'd do.
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
        Yep, that's what I'd do.
        Too small and too stripped out I think. They are countersunk and stripped almost to the edge of the screw head leaving little metal in which to actually cut a slot.

Comment

Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. sell small screw extracter kits. They are relatively cheap and I have had some success on smaller screw sizes. Might be worth a shot for a couple of bucks and save your finish and pickup ring.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
            Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. sell small screw extracter kits. They are relatively cheap and I have had some success on smaller screw sizes. Might be worth a shot for a couple of bucks and save your finish and pickup ring.
            +1 Yeah, here's one that ACE has: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=34750639593
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

I'm thinking drilling/dremeling the heads off and removing them with Vice grips is the simplest, saefst and most likely way.

Screw extractors on a pickup screw? I'd be pretty amazed to see that work really.

Comment

buy a cheap screwdriver and some superglue

Comment

If you don't intend to save the pickup ring, you could try to cut it into quarters, then rotate each quarter backwards to unscrew them.

Can you solder something onto the heads to give a better grip? Like a small washer or a dime? Maybe even a drill bit, then reverse them out slowly?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                      I'm thinking drilling/dremeling the heads off and removing them with Vice grips is the simplest, saefst and most likely way.

Screw extractors on a pickup screw? I'd be pretty amazed to see that work really.
                      A small set with a 5/64" diameter extractor will work on a #3 or #4 Phillips head wood screw used for PUP mounting. Been there.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Considering how easy it is to dremel the heads off, lift the pickup off and unscrew the remaining shaft with pliers, I can't imagine why you'd go to that extent unless you really HAD to to for some reason.

I've used extractors at length, man, impressive to have success on such a small screw. You're the man.

Comment

I know you've removed the screw long ago, but when I had this problem, I was able to remove the screw using an S1 square head screw driver bit. The square bit fit into the stripped shell, and torqued it out without any drilling, cutting, or grinding. Worth a shot, at least.

Comment

Working...
                          X