Quartersawn Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartersawn Maple

What exactly is 'quartersawn' maple and how does it differ from 'flatsawn' maple? Plus if I were looking to lay down a new fretboard on a guitar are there any other properties I should be aware of when considering purchasing maple?

Quartersawn wood is supposedly stronger for necks. I don't think this applies for fretboards as the wood of the neck is supposed to be straight and provide a solid surface for the fretboard. Probably someone with more knowledge in guitar building will chime in.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

The cut makes the neck stronger and more stable. Which is why you can get these oiled with no problems. You can tell a qtrsawn by the grain being straight and close together on the back of the neck. flat sawn you see the grain on the side of the neck.

Comment

The way the wood is cut determines the grain orientation. Grain orientation perpendicular to the surface is quartersawn. Roughly 45 deg to the surface is rift sawn, and roughly parallel to the surface is flat sawn.

There are a lot of references out there, but here is a short vid. http://woodtreks.com/why-sawyers-pla...aw-lumber/315/

If this is for a fretboard, then consider flame, birdseye, etc.
        The Guitars:
        Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
        The Amps:
        Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Comment

Ahhh thanks guys, you are a wealth of knowledge. I think I shall decide between the flame and the birdseye and will have to start posting pics when I get around to starting this project.

Comment

Working...
            X