Kahler trems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler trems

I have nice ole Jackson strat (1986) with a Kahler trem. I love the coolness/Old skool style of the Kahler trem but being a Floyd boy I´m a bit confused when it comes to keeping the Kahler in tune. How do you guys do it?:idea:
    P

Keep the little wheels oiled.
    I like quantum hot sauce, a fishing reel lube.
    Make sure your behind the nut locking deal is clamping the strings properly (check for slippage after tightening the locking nut by hitting the string, then pressing on the string behind the locking unit to see if it goes sharp).
    Sometimes you need to take those apart and sand/file the plates to remove grooves in the locking plates... be sure to sand/file in a direction that is 90 degrees from the string direction, so they grip better.
    Check to be sure your nut is cut correctly, and not binding, a little lube works well here as well.

That's about it.

Some folks will soldier their string wraps down by the ball... I've not felt the need to do that.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
      Some folks will soldier their string wraps down by the ball... I've not felt the need to do that.
      I never did either. I use D'Addario's and they are somewhat beefier than some other brands of strings @ the ball end.
      Spike pretty much nailed it.
      Lubrication and cleanliness.

Maybe swap the trem springs out, because they tend to stretch out over time and dont allow the return to zero as well.

Another thing I would add is to use some 1500 grit to clean the grooves in the brass rollers to remove any green gunk or burrs and sharp edges.

When I rebuilt my Kahler Flyer I noticed that some of the rollers were wider than others, so I matched up the wider ones with the E-A-D strings to allow them to move freely.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thanks guys for the good advice!!!
        P

Comment

link
          http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler...ions.htm#maint

Comment

That's overkill, in my opinion.
            Again, my opinion.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
            X