Question about Oiled neck upkeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Oiled neck upkeep

I have a 97 Jackson DK1 and my 2005 SL2H both with the oiled necks, and I was wondering, do you have to periodically apply oil to them?? and YES I am serious here, I am not jonesing for lemon oil jokes. I mean it. Should I apply tongue oil or fingerboard oil to the back of hte necks? I just dont want the oil barrier to wear away or something like that so it is susceptible to moisture and sweat. I did this with two older guitars I had about 10 years ago and they were fine. but, do these newer gutiars have better oil finishes on them? is it neccessary to re oil them from time to time?

I am open to all comments, suggestions, opinions, and stories. Please talk to me folks.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

I like to give my necks a drink of lemon oil every so often.
    So far (20+ years) it's been keeping them real real nice for me.
    Ebony, Maple, or Rosewood.

I'm also not allergic to boiled linseed oil, although some find it stinky, I kinda like it.

Then again, I like cough syrup.

Opinions vary!

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      Should I apply tongue oil or fingerboard oil to the back of hte necks?
      I think you want tung oil... unless you want me to put my tongue all over it and lick it.
      Though lemon oil is a decent cleaner on a fingerboard, I guess you could put it on the back of a neck, but it's not really going to penetrate and do much for the wood. I believe Jackson uses gunstock oil. I know Carvin uses tung oil. I think they recommend it be redone every few years or so.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Another good one is woodwind instrument bore oil. Finishing with oil only needs to be once a year, maybe more if you sweat a lot or live in a variable climate, but the oil will really protect and seal your neck's woodgrain without a heavy, impenetrable coat of lacquer or poly that arguably robs resonationa and gives some a sticky feel after playing for a while. To apply, first clean the neck with some 0000 steel wool to smooth the surface and clean some of the buildup out of the grain. Next hand rub the oil into the grain, repeating once or twice to ensure penetration, then wipe off and play! A coat of beeswax, or guitar wax is optional. Enjoy!
        There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Tung Oil is for guitar necks.
          Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            Tung Oil is for guitar necks.
            Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus
            That, my friend, is an excellent sig quote
            As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

First thing you have to do is find out what kind of oil is on the neck from the factory. Boiled Linseed or Tung oil should have a coat reapplied once a year or as needed. Danish oil, gun stock oil, Tru-Oil, wiping oil, are all types of polyurethane blend oils. They cure to a thin layer of poly, with more of an oil feel. Those should be okay for a few years at least between coats. But use the type of oil that was originally used.

The poly-blend oils on penetrate slightly and once they are cured, will not allow any more penetration until an area is worn through.

Tung and Boiled Linseed will cure to a dried state but do not form a film, so more oil can be applied. Do not apply any oils other than those two for protection if they are the originals. Any that cure to a film will not bond to the wood and will peal off, if they ever even dry. Lemon oil, mineral oil, woodwind oil are all non-drying oils. Not matter how long you leave them on there they never cure. They offer no protection, and will just make a mess of your hands and your guitar. They are good for cleaning a fretboard, and keeping it looking nice, but they are cleaning products, not finishing products.

Comment

your dk1 has gunstock oil on it. take the neck off, rub it down with some 0000 steel wool, then apply some gunstock oil. of all the oils i've used on necks (tung, linseed, danish), gunstock is the best i've found.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Where can I buy gunstock oil????? online???

Comment

Question about Oiled neck upkeep

> Wal-Mart,back in the sporting goods where the gun stuff is. The product you are looking for is Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil. Wipe on,let sit for a few,wipe off and buff with a different rag. Make sure the surface is clean and dry before using. Tommy D.
                    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

excellent.....sounds easy.

Comment

yep, anywhere you can get rifles/hunting supplies should carry it. follow the directions on the bottle for best results.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Bore oil is very good on Rosewood and Ebony fretboards. I use it on mine - maybe once a year or so - really makes the wood look and feel very nice.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

A good tip I learned when apply Casey's Tru-oil is to wipe on good, then wipe off fairly quickly and do not leave any residue. Don't let the oil dry, otherwise it will be sticky. Apply two coats, about twenty minutes apart. Let sit for at least 48 hours afterwards.

Comment

OK, so should I use something other than lemon oil on the fretboard then? I mean to "condition" it rather than clean it? or is that uneccessary????

Comment

Working...
                              X