Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Blackouts

I'm about ready to start another guitar build and requested a battery box route for the back. At first, I was going to use EMGs, but I already have one guitar with those.

Has anyone here tried the Duncan Blackouts or the Metal Blackouts?
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

From what Stevoc tells me, the AHB-1's sound more balanced than EMG's. I'm due to get a pair in February (my budget has just been spent on another guitar).
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have a Metal Livewire, which is the original version that the AHB-2 Blackout is based off of. It runs on 18v and uses a 10ok pot, but the Blackouts use 25k pots. The Metal Livewire that I have has been discontinued. It is hardwired as opposed to the quik connect found on EMG's and the Blackout and Classic Livewires have.

I really like it because it has a different EQ section than EMG's have. It has alot more mids obviously, and since it runs on 18v already it's very responsive. It has a passive type of feel and sound to it, which is a nice change from EMG's

Here's the EQ of my Metal Livewire:
      Metal Livewire - Low-7/mid-9/high-5
      The AHB-2 Blackout have the same EQ. (but use 25k pots)

The AHB-1 Blackout's EQ is: Low-6/Mid-5/High-8 (25k pots)

To add to the confusion there's also a Livewire Classic which uses 25k pots, but it runs on 9v and is basically a tamed down version of the Blackout's.
      Livewire Classic EQ:
      Low-5/Mid-4/High-9

I'm sure that you'll like them alot and they're a nice alternative to EMG's.
      But I'll still take an '81 or an '85 in the bridge of my main guitars anyday, so they will never replace them. As an active pup guy, I give them a thumbs up.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have Blackouts in my RR3. They're great for metal, but surprisingly good clean as well.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

BO's

BO's are killer PuPs. I've tried both the BO AHB-1 bridge and neck model in the bridge spot, and honestly prefer the neck in the bridge. I've also tried an EMG 81, and can see where people like it, and hate it.

People seem to forget, PuPs, even actives, have to match both the guitar its going into, as well as the sound you are looking for. BO's are more open and organic than EMGs. They sound 1/2 way between EMGs and passives. That may or may not be what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
            BO's are killer PuPs. I've tried both the BO AHB-1 bridge and neck model in the bridge spot, and honestly prefer the neck in the bridge. I've also tried an EMG 81, and can see where people like it, and hate it.

People seem to forget, PuPs, even actives, have to match both the guitar its going into, as well as the sound you are looking for. BO's are more open and organic than EMGs. They sound 1/2 way between EMGs and passives. That may or may not be what you are looking for.
            Thanks for the thoughtful reply. These would be going into a Black Korina bodied guitar. From your description, and the others above, they sound like what I am looking for.
            The Guitars:
            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
            The Amps:
            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Working...
            X