PC1 Sustainiac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Sustainiac

I bought a 98 PC1 (at a pawn shop) that some moron stripped the Sustainiac out of it to put EMG's in it. The cool thing about this guitar that I have found out is it's suppose to be the last one with the KOA body made (serial #4699) and it is a reddish orange color (i say red, wife says orange) so it was apparantly a custom order(???) Anyway, I wanna find a sustainer for it. Does anywhere know where I can buy a sustainer for this thing???
    Thanks!

Is there nothing left of the unit? Are both the sustainer (aka neck pickup) as well as the circuit board missing?

Shame when ever a PC1 is hacked like that especially a last edition koa one.

My experience is that only Jackson repairs sustainers and I assume that it would not be a cheap venture to send the guitar back to them to have it installed or repaired.

But then again given that it is a koa version it might be worth looking into.

rjohnstone is one of many PC1 experts here. Maybe PM him for more info.

BTW POST SOME PICS OF THAT KOA BODY!!!!

Comment

The Floyd Rose Sustainer used in those models is hard to come by cheaply, but the Sustainiac does the same thing for about $250.

http://www.sustainiac.com/
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Fernandes FSK-401 kit is damn near a direct replacement for the stock Floyd Rose sustainer.
        The toggle switches are board mounted and the spacing is almost a perfect match to the original board. It's all pre-wired and easy as hell to install.

I think the Sustaniac units are more versatile in the sense of installation options, but they require more skill to install.

Jackson will not sell you a replacement unit. Last time I checked, they were a $900 upcharge on a Custom Shop piece.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what I'll do. I would like to return it to it's heyday, but maybe not for a grand. I have another PC1 so the sustainer isn't important enough just to throw a cheaper one in.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Jackson will not sell you a replacement unit. Last time I checked, they were a $900 upcharge on a Custom Shop piece.

DAMN!!!

I'm putting a Sustainiac into an upcoming build...cost me about $250.
            The Guitars:
            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
            The Amps:
            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Well, maybe I will for that price...Are the Sustainiac's good?

Comment

"Jackson will not sell you a replacement unit. Last time I checked, they were a $900 upcharge on a Custom Shop piece"

Makes sense actually. It's sort of like Fender refusing to sell an original Fender neck to ward off fakes.

What if the original guitar was shipped back to jackson for a repair performed by them?

Would they accept that repair if it went through an authorized Jackson dealer?

Comment

That would be the way to go..wonder if they would.

Comment

Well there is a big difference between repairing a sustainer and replacing one that is missing.
                    I highly doubt Jackson would install a new unit if the old one was removed prior to sending it too them.
                    -Rick

Comment

How much do you guys think a 98 PC1 without the sustainiac, in average condition, and a custom color is worth?

Comment

Originally posted by slang05 View Post
                        How much do you guys think a 98 PC1 without the sustainiac, in average condition, and a custom color is worth?
                        Well since they never came with a Sustainiac in the first place...

PC1's without a sustainer have been in the $800 to $1,100 range on eBay.

And define "custom color". The PC1 was only available in 5 color choices in 1998. None of which are "custom" beyond the fact that you could only get them on the PC1.
                        -Rick

Comment

The "custom color" sounds way fancier than what it is. The guitar was originally a Au Natural. The guy who originally bought this guitar took it to the guy who does the paint for the Conklin custom shop and had him redo the top in red (it's kind of a burnt orange according to my son's crayon's lol) So, it's a professional job. I think thats where the sustainer got messed up. I don't think I could ever part with it, it's the best playing guitar I have ever owned. I was just curious what you guys thought it was worth, but like i said, i really love the guitar. I don't think I could ever part with it. Out of the 90 or so guitars I've owned it's the only one I feel like is me. It seems like ever gig I've ever played, it went as a back up (to a les paul, or prs) and ended up being played most the night. The quilt on the neck is amazing to me. So, it's a hack job compared to some of the gorgeous pieces on here, but it's my hack job! lol I can't wait for my new one to get in. If I love it half as much as this one, it's going to be pretty special to me.

Comment

And if my Au Natural looks half as good as yours rj, I'll be in heaven!

Comment

If it's an older one, it should look great.
                              The tops on the PC1's of late (2005 to present) have been hit or miss.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X